Kissing etiquette

high school pedestrian bridge

Geeky Girl and the Cute Jock, a curious couple in a circus of cliques and coterie.

Teenage love, first kiss, and high school angst all rolled into one messy, slobbery, crusty meeting of lips. Awkward, yet sweet.

Rub in it, or wipe it off, that’s the first question. The second, will there be another, less wet kiss?

Prompt #24: Share a significant first

Prompt #24: Share a significant first day in your life

Backstory:

I can still remember it, even after so MANY, many, many years.

He was on the football team, played baseball and drove a silver Camaro with bright orange flames painted on the front quarter panels. I was the weird kid, the smart girl and friend to the freaks. We were an unlikely couple.

I think we were maybe sophomores, juniors at most.

He was still at school because of some sports practice or something. I was still there waiting for a ride home after band. (No, I didn’t play an instrument, I was in the Rifle Corps. I liked wearing the white go-go boots and navy blue hot pants.)

There was a short set of stairs leading from the main bus ramp of our high school down into the cafeteria. I was sitting on the top step. He was standing up, leaning over the hand rail.

We were talking, laughing. flirting. I was shy, he was popular. I could not believe that he wanted to date me. ME!

At some point, I knew that if I looked up at him one more time he would try to kiss me. I looked up.

He kissed me… the first time, the first real kiss from a boyfriend.

After, I wasn’t quite sure what the etiquette was. Do I wipe off the spit ring he had left or just let it dry naturally?

*From the Vault of IMSO; first published June 16, 2009. Updated and edited.

1. Mine was very similar. I love the description of how you were trying to decide to wipe it or let it dry naturally. Hehehe! I wiped it. 🙂

1. I loved Karin’s idea of going in for a hug and wiping the wet ring on his shirt.

2. What a sweet story, Tara. It actually reads a little like a coming of age novel. Hmmm ….

Thanks for sharing it and playing Ketchup With Us. 🙂

1. Hmm… that’s a fun idea.

1. It was a very memorable moment.

3. Great story! Sadly us canines know what it’s like to leave a spit circle…but we and our slobber have a good excuse. 🙂

1. I have a mini Lab who LOVES kisses. Spit rings are a given.

1. I thought so. It seems your little doggie knows the ropes. Glad to hear it! 🙂

4. I love this. I mastered the press my face into his t-shirt technique thereby blotting away the spit ring technique with my first boyfriend.

5. LOL! Oh, those awkward first kisses 🙂

1. I’m so glad those sorts of first are far behind me.

6. Learning the art of Subtle Wiping was hard – too obvious and it prompted “What? Do I have germs or something?”

1. I usually went with ‘just rubbing it in.”