Today, we had a sort of “good news/bad news, but mostly meh news” appointment at the vet’s with our fur kid Asta. After a two-week wait, we hoped that she healed to the point where the pin in her hip could be removed.
The bad news is her vet wasn’t satisfied with the progress of her recovery, and wanted to wait a little longer. The good news is that he’s writing us a referral to an orthopedic vet for a second opinion. The bad news is an appointment for this other doc to review her X-rays and examine her is about $125, whereas our vet is providing his services free-of-charge since Asta is a shelter rescue.
The good news is the specialist’s office is within driving distance and we can get an appointment sometime next week. More good news is that an additional week’s wait isn’t an issue in Asta’s recovery. The bad news is that our vet said he felt some “crepitness” in her hip that he didn’t like, and more bad news is that in the interim, there is nothing we can do to improve her prognosis – no “doggy physical therapy.”
The good news is that our vet thinks we can save her leg, the bad news is that additional surgery may be required. The good news is that if more work is necessary, and our vet is qualified to perform the surgery, he said he’d do it free of charge. The bad news is if he isn’t comfortable doing what the specialist recommends, we have to decide whether we can afford for the orthopedist to perform the surgery.
Unless an additional operation is crazy, “sell-an-extra-kidney” expensive, we’ll opt for paying for the procedure, but I was hoping the little fur baby wouldn’t have to go through anymore trauma. She’s already had a rough time of it lately.