Losing sleep

closed dome light

“Did you remember the candles?” I piped on the icing roses and added “Happy Birthday” with a fancy flourish.

Holding up a small box, he shook out four pink polka-dot tapers. “Of course, here ya go. You’ve really outdone yourself this year.”

“Turn out the lights so we can see the flames better.”

I picked up the three-layer cake and walked into a darkened room of pre-schoolers loudly singing about smelly monkeys.

I woke suddenly from my wistful dream, the overhead lamp casting weak shadows. The only sound was the receding echo of the guard’s heavy boots.

This week’s challenge is inspired by One Republic’s, “Counting Stars.”

1. I really enjoyed this, even if it made me terribly and abruptly disheartened at the end =)

2. Tara, this is such a great interpretation of the song. Love that you pulled one of the “themes” from the song. It’s a happy tale turned dark and sober.

3. Fantastic twist in such a few words 🙂

1. I’m glad you liked it, Helen. Thanks for stopping by.

4. I’ll have mine with a twist please. oh, you added one. why thank you Tara 🙂

1. I do like to keep people guessing. Thanks for reading Kath.

5. I like the contrast between the dream and reality – definitely very jarring to wake up to THAT! 😦

1. Good, that’s what I was going for, a dichotomy between happy and bleak.

6. great twist and the opening descriptions took me in a direction that made the last sentence even more powerful.

1. I’m glad I can still surprise you. Thanks, Lance.

Join the discussion...