I’ll be watching you

Some might call it a guilty conscience, but I didn’t do anything wrong. Inaction does not equal blame. Besides, I didn’t want to get involved.

The brain can trick the eye into seeing all sorts of things that aren’t there. Personally, all I see is a swirl of dirt, or remnants of a long-rotted tree trunk.

It’s not like I can actually make out the outline of his skull, the curve of his jaw, the indent of the temporal bone, an oval eye socket. His death was not my fault, and he is not haunting me everywhere I go.

The 100 Word Challenge is to tell a story in only 100 words. This week’s theme is ‘Haunting’

1. guilty conscience meets specter . . . .chilling.

1. The human mind can conjure some very creepy things.

2. My Chaotic Factors July 12, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I thought I was the only one who kept seeing personification in person. Glad I am not alone!

1. I see people and faces in inanimate objects all the time.

3. Very nice! Reminds me that the brain does most of the work of “seeing.” A whole lot of expectations and emotions get mixed up with the raw data from the eyes, and that mixture is what we see. It’s a wonder we can move through the world at all.

1. The mind is a powerful thing. Many times, I don’t “see” different things in my photos until after I download them and can study them closer, without outside distractions.

4. The right touch of guilt. Says enough. ironic the speaker doesn’t recognize he’s created the haunting. Enjoyed.

1. The mind is a powerful thing.

1. Cool! That is what I was hoping for.

5. That’s right, just keep telling yourself that. 😉

1. HA! There does appear to be a lot of rationalization… that is not working.

6. I liked this! 🙂

I was a little confused by the line: “No action doesn’t equal blame, besides I didn’t want to get involved.” I assume the first part means: ‘Inaction is not wrongdoing’, but it was a little hard to tell. And the second part seems like it should be its own sentence, or at least separated by a semicolon.

1. Sometimes I get too caught up in the word-count. I like your suggestions. Thanks.

7. those are cool pictures 🙂 Haunting indeed!

1. I used to find “hearts” when I went on my photo hikes, now it’s “skulls.” There is probably some sinister implication there.