Raising teens

sepiaswings

There are three encouragements to surviving raising teenagers. The first is IT gets better. The second is it GETS better. And the third is it gets BETTER.

The Trifextra challenge this weekend is: “to write a version of Henry James’ ‘Three things..’ quote.”

1. teenagers or not, I see it getting better some days and new problems arise, but I guess for me I just keep remembering that being a mom was always what I truly wanted so I try not to complain (MUCH)

I look at my relationship with my mom now and I know that what you wrote is true, it will get BETTER than BETTER. 😉

2. Just keep telling yourself that. Wonderful take on the prompt. Thank you for linking up!

3. heh, I wonder how many parents occasionally wish for an intervention? (:

1. I’m sure there are a lot. I’m just glad I had a tag team member to hand off to when things got really aggravating.

1. Thanks! I can laugh about those years now.

4. First – LOVE that picture. Second.. you’re scaring me!

1. You’re okay for a while, but considered forewarned, forearmed. Good luck!

5. My two teens are now 31 and 34 ….. will it getter better soon?

1. Mine are 20 and 24, maybe yours are going through a second childhood?

6. I’m not quite to the teens yet (oldest is almost eleven.) He’s already getting an attitude with me, so I’m afraid the next few years, I may be chanting, “it gets better…it gets better…”

1. I always said that when my kids added a digit to their ages, I lost one on my IQ. Around age 16, 17, they lost most of the attitude and I gained back my brain. “It gets better.”

7. My daughters are 7 and 3…….the road is long, isn’t it?! 🙂 They scrap like wild cats sometimes but, they hug each other goodnight each night, too. The good times make the bad times tolerable. That’s all I’ve got for now.

1. My kids are four years apart too, and there were times when I thought they would never get along. Now, they are very close and it warms my heart.

8. Well, thank goodness for that! Some days they really make you wonder if any of you will make it through… 😉

1. I definitely had my share of those kind of days and wondered if I would live through it… if they would. It’s nice now to have adult kids who are also my friends.

1. That’s so great! I can see glimpses of it now, and I look forward to that day. 🙂

9. Wise advice, Tara. I have a teenaged daughter. Sometimes there are rough patches, but I know when she goes off into the world some day I will miss her dearly and cry my heart out. I want to know that that time will get easier too:) Great writing!!

1. When my oldest, my daughter, left home to attend college, all the angst (on both our parts), was worth it. I’m so proud of her, but it was hard to watch her head out on her own.

10. I’m not quite there yet – but it is encouraging to know that even if it gets bad, it will get better.

1. We won’t worry about the bad, because the good outshines all that.

11. Good to know!

1. Glad I could help…

12. Um, you neglected to tell me WHEN it gets better … 😉

1. My youngest turned 20 last Sunday… around 2am to be a little more precise. Calculate accordingly for your teens.

13. Oh, Thank God. I think I’m in second one right now, and holding on!

1. It can be a wild ride, but it really is worth it all in the end. Good luck!

14. it does, it does, it does . . . and then there are grandchildren 🙂

1. Ah grandkids… I’m actually looking forward to that.

15. Very well done – and I like the new look of your blog too :))

1. Thanks, I’m kinda proud of how the kids turned out too.

16. now I’m scared…I have three boys between preschool and preteen. The teenage years do worry me.

1. I have a daughter and a son. My son was actually easier in his teens than my daughter. Good luck!

17. smart use of the capitals and great answer to the prompt

1. Thanks! My youngest finally made it through his teens, and we are both still standing. I take that as a good sign.

18. I’m in between the first one and the second one. Hope you’re right on the third.

great prompt response

1. The Boy turned 20 last week, I official made it through the fire. Your girls are all great kids, you’ll come out unscathed too.