Creature comfort

Lizard hiker

I’m a bit of a loner. I have a few close friends I enjoy spending time with, but being by myself is not something I avoid.

I like being able to make plans without stressing about someone else’s preferences. Having my own schedule, or not having one at all, makes being spontaneous much easier.

That’s why I usually take my weekly photo hikes alone. I don’t have to consider whether someone else is bored, or tired. I can go where I want, when I want, for as long as I want.

I can hike at my pace, and not worry about lagging behind or pulling ahead of someone else.

Still, I’m not totally alone. On each hike, I find at least one sidekick. A critter of some kind that lets me know that despite my claims of solitude, I’m actually surrounded by all sorts of companions.

wordpress button grunge

Submitted to Weekly Photo Challenge. The theme was to, “share a picture of a COMPANION and explain why you chose that picture.

1. […] Creature comfort | Thin spiral notebook […]

2. Being a loner rules.

3. […] Creature comfort | Thin spiral notebook […]

4. I am very social, but the older I get the more I am becoming like you. I like being ALONE, I enjoy reading or watching a movie, even if the boys are with next to me (and we’re watching HARRY POTTER AGAIN..heh) I feel better like that than trying to make conversation or being around other people.

I almost feel “free-er” because of it these days.

5. I’m more of a loner person too, but unfortunately we don’t have a lot of nature trails around here…. but with the baby, cat and dog, I feel like I live in a wild animal kingdom.

1. When I can’t get out, with two dogs, a cat, and one 20-something still at home, some days it feels like a zoo here too.

6. My sentiments exactly!!!!! Love the photo too by the way. 🙂

7. If I didn’t know better I’d swear that was written about me. While I have a few good photographer friends that I go out with from time to time, my best work is made, and I get the most enjoyment from, being alone in the mountains or forests with nothing but my camera and my thoughts.

1. My daughter is home this summer from college, and has gone with me a few times on my photo hikes. It’s not the same somehow. I love spending time with her, but I feel guilty about making her stop so often when I want to take a photo.

1. I don’t even bother bringing my camera when my daughter comes along. 😀

1. Yeah, it’s useless in my case too.

1. My iPhone is always with me though 🙂

1. Mine too! As much for a point/shoot camera as for a GPS so I don’t get lost on my hiking trails… my sense of direction is horrible.

2. Who needs a P&S when you’ve got an iPhone? I don’t have to worry about getting lost in the woods, great sense of direction. Put me under a roof, like in a Mall though and I’m screwed. Then I need a GPS, a map, and a guide. And that’s just to get out of Macy’s!

8. […] Creature comfort | Thin spiral notebook […]

9. […] Creature comfort | Thin spiral notebook […]

10. […] Creature comfort | Thin spiral notebook […]

11. I can kinda relate to that. Doing a two hour walk in six hours cos you wanna stop every ten yards and take another pic can be a bit wearing on your companions so I, too, like to take off when my other half is at work or whatever and take my camera for a walk sometimes. Then again, she is a very understanding wife who is quite accepting of my addiction! 😀 Click. Click

12. Love the look and the color of your site. Heartily agree with the benefits of being alone sometimes.

13. I like how we begged you to go to the beach and you were steadfast in wanting to do your hike. I dug that a lot.

1. I hoped you all would understand. I really wanted to spend more time, but knew you all needed some fam time too. But… I really don’t do crowds well.

1. me either…but I loved hanging with you