Do It Yourself

I firmly believe that DIY home projects should not be attempted by married or otherwise committed couples.

Such tasks can be as simple as assembling a particleboard bookcase, or as painstaking as papering bathroom walls. The trouble comes when both partners believe there is only one way to perform the job, their way. Everyone wants to be in charge, but no one wants to be told what to do.

Tempers flare, nerves fray, feelings get hurt, and possibly, tears shed. That’s just in the first five minutes.

Keep your romance alive. When there is a job to do, hire professionals.

1. I usually call my dad to come over and take care of things, then wait to see if my husband notices. He almost never does.

Liked by 1 person

2. I sense some personal experience here. I may or may not be experienced in this area as well since we have nearing 36 years of hindsight.

Liked by 1 person

3. our motto throughout our marriage has been “hire it done.” Sometimes we are happy with the result – sometimes not so much. But, we are usually on the same page then. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. That sounds like the perfect compromise.

4. I totally agree! I am particularly rubbish at DIY and especially short tempered while doing it 🙂

Enjoyed

Ally

Liked by 1 person

1. My husband and I have a big DIY project that should begin this weekend. I’m determined to be silent and helpful. I may have to bite my tongue a lot, but I won’t make any suggestions on how we could be doing the work simpler.

5. oh totally. my husband and i got into a fight when all he was doing was hanging bookshelves next to our bed. forget about attempting anything else!!

1. Whenever my Mister is working on a project, I only check on him occasionally and bring him cold drinks. I’ve learned that I am not needed and most often, not wanted as a helper.

6. Solid words of advice! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

7. I happen to be married to a professional ☺️
    Cherryx

Liked by 1 person

1. I bet he has all sorts of stories about how he had to repair DIY jobs that went bad.

8. I agree wholeheartedly. However, the husband refuses to deal with professionals. So, I’ll be crawling under the house, again, this weekend.

Liked by 1 person

1. *shudder* Another reason to like Florida… no crawl spaces. Good luck.

Join the discussion...