Green fairy

emergency

Alone at the Carousel, I tried to figure out if the bar was revolving again or if I had one too many absinthes.

A reservoir glass of Oz green liquid sat in front of me. A silver filigree spoon, balanced across the rim, held a glimmering sugar cube. A carafe of ice water was within arms reach, necessary to pour over the sugar, taming the Green Fairy.

With practiced skill, I lifted the spoon off my glass and slowly stirred, my absinthe turning into a familiar opalescent louche. I refused to let the bartender burn the cube. My belief was the charred sugar was what drove early New Orleanians mad, not tainted anise liquor.

By number four, the hallucinations began.

This week’s challenge is inspired by Wrong Number,” by The Cure.

*The Carousel Piano Bar and Lounge, at the Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street in New Orleans, is a French Quarter landmark. The bar features a working carousel, revolving a full turn every 15 minutes. I had my first properly prepared absinthe at the Carousel. A NOLA friend took me there for this monumental occasion. It was made abundantly clear that if you want to have an authentic experience, you NEVER allow the bartender to burn the sugar cube. It is all for show. Absinthe, a highly potent potable with an alcohol content of 55-75 percent, is diluted with water in a ritual preparation. A 100-year U.S. prohibition on the licorice-flavored drink was finally lifted in 2007. Based on anecdotal evidence, the liquor was believed to cause hallucinations and render seemingly normal people quite mad.

1. Gonna have to hit this place up when I venture back to NOLA next month. I’ve not been to that bar yet nor have I tried absinthe.
    Love what you did with the prompt. 🙂

2. seriously, is there ANYTHING you haven’t done yet? So, how did it taste?

(I’m not a fan of licorice flavored anything…so I’m not sure I’d like this at all. I mean you know I’ll never say no to a good drink, but maybe I’ll let you enjoy this one alone and I’ll just order a Hurricane and wait for the carousel to spin. Now that sounds fun (and dangerous once we’re past the 2nd drink. 😉 )

1. I haven’t ridden a wild bull or donated a kidney… I don’t care for licorice normally, but absinthe is very good, almost creamy and sweet.

1. all in good time my friend, all in good time. LOL

3. I love this… nothing like the taste of wormwood… why didn’t I meet you when I was younger??? (oh wait, you would have been too young then)

4. Ryan and I brought back a battle of absinthe from Europe, pre-ban lifting. It’s still sealed, though he tried it there.

5. Hmmm…something to add to “the Bucket List” 🙂

1. I second that – road trip anyone?

6. I love the images you paint here. And “Green Fairy” just ups the ante.

1. “Green Fairy” is one of the names for absinthe. I thought it was amusing and apropos considering its jaded (see what I did there?) history.

1. I see! And it made me giggle, cause I’m 12.

7. Now, pushing 80, I suppose I should put it on my bucket list, but I’ve been on the wagon
    for about 30 years now, lol…

1. Absinthe would not be the one to fall off the wagon for… so incredibly heady.

8. Never been to NOLA – but I would like to – someday. It joins so many other places on the “bucket list”.

1. I love New Orleans. Every time I go, I find something new. You would love the history and mystery of the city.

9. ah yes, so now we know how light of a weight you are…literarily.

great imagery and descriptions. I’m enjoying you Nawlins’ tangents lately

1. You drink one absinthe, then we’ll talk. Whoa! They are strong, but so good.

Join the discussion...