High above it

blue sky white clouds

The back of her lounge chair was adjusted at a haphazard angle. Its plaid, plastic webbing leaving pink stripes behind her thighs where she absentmindedly pulled her floral sundress above bare hips.

She sipped daintily from an iced glass of tea, generously blended with Absolut citron, a refreshing aperitif on a hot afternoon.

The Xanax she swallowed taking its sweet time, finally lifted her spirits as her lemony spirits lifted her high above her backyard – floating over her self-medicating neighborhood, peeking into other backyards where other housewives sipped their lemon tea.

The airspace over town was quickly becoming crowded.

This week’s challenge is inspired by “And, She Was,” by Talking Heads

1. Well now that’s a neat take. Good work!

2. haha – i love this! that’s my drink of choice lately too. of the arnold palmer variety. i can picture all these women in their lawn chairs buzzin’ away. good times. 😉

3. Loved it. Damn self-medicating suburbanites.

4. I’m seeing 1960’s backyards, and the secrets that hide among those manicured lawns, the gossip that is sipped as much as that tea, the ladies who wish for a life beyond those chairs. Which I guess is why Xanax and Citron helped to take the edge off.

I don’t know if I wish I was one of them…but you sure make it sound interesting enough to ponder.

1. That was the era I was thinking about too, when depression and other mental health issues were verboten to discuss. There was a lot of self-medicating.

1. I feel like those women were so “STIFLED” , remember when Archie Bunker used to say that word to Edith..it was supposed to be funny etc, as I grew older all I could think was, MEN WANT WOMEN TO BE QUIET. That’s what is funny and not funny about the way he says it.

These women, sitting on their beautiful manicured lawns, sipping their teas laced with something were stifled.

5. Excellent piece. But it leaves me wondering – are these SAHMs?

1. I think they could be anyone left alone during day with too much time on their hands, and too much detritus in their minds.

6. Love this, love this. And I’m getting thirsty.

1. Thanks Kath! I was a bit parched after writing it too.

7. I would like to be there…especially this week! Blah

1. I have a lovely carafe of iced tea in the fridge, but I’m lacking the lemon flavoring. I think there may be a roadtrip in my future.

8. and she was

I wish I could be her, today, right now

1. There are some days when I wish I could be her too… except for the whole hiked up sundress thing.

1. 100 word song is up…thank you