Doretha

mason of iced tea

Her bless-your-heart benedictions are her southern way of saying, “you’re addled, child.” Her mothball-scented hugs mean she loves you anyways. Come sit on the veranda, and have some sweet tea, you’ll feel better.

The Trifextra challenge this weekend is: 33 words about anything, but must include at least one hyphenated compound modifier.

1. Yup reminds me of granny god bless her.

2. very nice – great atmosphere you’ve created in only 33 words 🙂

3. Well, bless your heart, I’m from the South and we do say that easy. At least we old timers do. That was one of the phrases I can still hear my father saying.

4. Lovely, Southern, grandmotherly, huggy. Sweet!
    Love the bless-your-heart benediction!

5. This is sweet, like the tea. Pretty cute with the hyphens at the start.

I like your new pic with the dog.

1. Thanks! That is my newest adopted furkid, Asta. A little Lab/whatever mix.

6. Beautiful piece of writing! I want to be on that veranda.

7. This felt so Southern! I absolutely love the tone of this and that the person understands that the hugs meant she loved her anyway.

8. This is sweet and very descriptive. I feel like I know Doretha. 🙂

9. I have a soft spot in my heart for elderly women-mothball-scented hugs and all. I love the title of this piece too-it makes it seem very personal-and it makes me miss my grandma, who was named Dorothy:)

1. Doretha was my great-aunt, my maternal grandmother’s sister. She was a petite woman whose perfume was reminiscent of moth balls, and who would engulf you in a smothering hug whenever she saw you.

Join the discussion...