Left to my own devices

While most tourists to my part of the world tend to congregate at the beaches, there are so many other beautiful places to visit.

The perk for me when hiking at these lesser known Florida nature spots, is that I rarely have to share the trail with other people. That means I can do whatever I need to ‘get the shot.’ Which could be lying on my stomach, or back, to get just the right angle, or climbing over fences and on top of benches.

I’ll go off trail to capture a shaft of light shining through the canopy on a tiny spiderweb. It means using my hiking pole-slash-monopod to pull back brush to find an old rusted iron gate, or to hold my camera over my head for that full-view landscape.

It also means I can dance and sing along to the music on my MP3 player without worrying about being seen. There will, however; be no photographic evidence of that.

leavesmoss

rufflesDec12

fringe

weblights

keepout

farhorizonDec12

*Photos taken at Camp Helen State Park near Panama City, FL.

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, Nikon CoolPix S205 and/or iPhone4)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream.

Unknown Mami

Submitted to Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City

1. I feel the dancing and music in the pictures.

2. wow.. nature’s photos are always intriguing and you’ve showed the beauty from your pix.. The web shot’s a fav of mine!

3. jejejeje (hahah in Spanish) I can see you dancing and jumping! 🙂
    Have a good week!

4. I agree – there are plenty of non-beach places to explore, and much to be seen in them. I’d love to see your area – I did spend time in Everglades City & north of there, and I loved the inland scrub and pine areas.

5. LOVE that spider web!

6. These are beautiful shots. I really like the mushroom. Probably not safe to eat, though. 🙂

7. […] Left to my own devices (thinspiralnotebook.wordpress.com) […]