The siren’s call

A possession not wholly unwelcome. A fervent drive, wild and unrelenting.

No priest called, no rosary prayed. Holy water won’t cleanse my soul of this yearning. While in its grip, I can’t deny its dominion over me. I can’t simply walk way, ignoring its haunting siren’s song.

If I fight against its enthralling pull, my heart races, my breathing quickens. I pace the floor like a caged animal, my mind can’t focus. If I can’t satisfy its demands, I am crestfallen.

If only I surrender, my mania shall surely pass. These solitary hours wandering the woods feed my hungry spirit.

The 100 Word Challenge, a writing prompt created by Velvet Verbosity, takes a single theme to tell a story in only 100 words ~ no more, no less. This week’s theme is ‘Possession.’

100 Word Song is a writing challenge from Lance based on a weekly music prompt. This week’s challenge is inspired by OK Go, ‘This Too Shall Pass’

1. Our creativity does own us, doesn’t it?

2. What a marvelous 100 words. I could really relate to this!

3. Yes! I know exactly how this feels and you have put words to that obsession/possession. Ahhhh! I feel better knowing someone else knows what it’s like.

4. You portrayed this feeling perfectly.

5. amazingly well captured. You did a great job with the possession prompt, I understand this feeling.

6. On my good days, this is exactly how I write. I drop everything and just start pounding on the keys until I’m drained.

7. The enthralling pull sentence is amazing

The word selection on this way if perfect. You slayed the prompts.

8. Tara, your writing always inspires me. This is beautiful.

9. I think anyone who is remotely creative can relate. Writing, photography, painting…it all gives that release.

Small critique: Shouldn’t this sentence be joined? If I fight against its enthralling pull. My heart races, my breathing quickens.

1. Ack! Yes! I rewrote that several times, and just missed the punctuation. Thanks!

10. I thought sure there were going to be cookies at the end of this. 🙂

1. Oh yes! Cookies or wine would also be very apropos.

11. Oooh – great combination. For me, that kind of possession is writing.