O’Dark:Thirty

Rock the vote!

Got up early Saturday morning to head out for my photo hike. I had an ulterior motive to propel me out of the door before 7 a.m. Florida’s early voting began this morning too. Polls opened at a new precinct in the city where I live, and I went to perform my civic duty and cast a ballot.

Timing was on my side, and I was the very first person to vote… #00001. I was disappointed that there wasn’t any glitter or confetti to commemorate the auspicious occasion. Cake or coffee would have been welcome too, but alas I had to settle for stopping at a local donut shack for an apple fritter.

You know I had to ask, but they wouldn’t let me snap a picture of my inaugural ballot being accepted into the counting machine.

Getting out that early also afforded me the opportunity to snag a sunrise shot, and some pix at the beach when the lighting was muted. Mornings and late afternoons can create some wonderful shadows. The ambient light cast a sepia-like tone to the scenery.

Break of day

Good morning

Rolling in the deep

Sepia kinda day

Sunshine on the water

Mottled skies

Tempest coming

Winging it

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, Nikon CoolPix S205 and/or iPhone4)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream.

Unknown MamiTo see other city scenes from around the world, check out Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City. Don’t forget to show the love to Mami and the other City contributors.

1. i so love your photography. it helps my homesick-y. the tempest? fantastic.

2. I love the moods of the ocean. Nice work!

3. Beautiful! So peaceful and hopeful at the same time.

And YAY #1!!

4. Beautiful Tara, and some of them look just like here. Funny how the ocean is similar states away 🙂

5. Your beach is absolutely stunning. How sensational! I love the images you were able to capture. That is so cool that you were number one! YAY : )

6. I think it is pretty exciting that you were the first one to vote! Woo hoo!

7. Every week, your pictures evoke the same nostagic feelings for the beach days of my youth. My parents, particularly my mother, loved to take us to the beach for swimming, fishing, being with family. I grew up loving the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

8. Oh my gosh! What glorious pics! My life’s ambition is to live at the beach. Absolutely gorgeous shots!

And good for you for voting and I think that it is cool that you were #1.

Happy Sunday!

🙂
    Traci

9. These are AWESOME. The colors are just incredible, and have so many rich tones in them. You make me long for the beach, I long for the sounds, the smells, and the feeling I have when there.

Join the discussion...