Old Black Water keep on rollin’…

It has finally reached warm enough temps, that I was able to don SHORTS on my weekend photo hike. I felt all Spring-ish.

This week, I headed to Blackwater River State Park near Holt, FL. The water, while not actually black, is a very dark copper, thanks to the tannin from hardwoods growing along the white-quartz sand river banks. It’s still very clear and clean, it only looks like sun tea.

My family has spent many summer days canoeing on this river. While a slow paddle down the Blackwater would have been a great way to pass the day, instead I found a trail that took me on a slow amble through the forest.

Again, I had the trail to myself… grateful that there was no one around to hear my off-tune singing or witness my one-woman Soul Train dance line. Don Cornelius would have been proud.

Then there was this guy… I know the shot is blurry, but I wanted to keep my distance. The image was enlarged a bit, and I lost detail, but that really is the snout of a Florida gator.

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens and/or a Nikon CoolPix S205)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream.

More Weekly Winners photo galleries can be found at I am Lotus. Please leave a little comment love for our lovely hostess and the other WW photogs.

To see other city scenes from around the world, check out Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City. Don’t forget to show the love to Mami and the other City contributors.

1. Oh my gosh…that turtle shot is unreal!?!

2. I grew up south of Baton Rouge, La…and these pictures make me a little homesick. Okay, maybe more than a little. Nice photos.

3. I like that Rockin’ Turtle Line Dance.

4. i love the bridge shot and the turtles! how cute!

EEEEEEEK on the gator!

5. wow. that turtle image is awesome! and i love the shot of the bridge

6. Okay, the gator has freaked me out. But the turtle statue shot calmed me.

7. Awesome photos! I especially love the turtles. You should get that one framed or put on canvs. I’m trying out my first Groupon for Canvas on Demand, and having one of my photos printed on canvas.($45 for a 16 x 20)

You have so many great photos, it would be tough to choose…

8. Love the turtles, I can’t wait until it’s warm enough to hit the water around her. The second one I think is my favorite.

Join the discussion...