100 Word Challenge: Peculiar

giraffe expression

Today’s a special day for me. I will mark this down on my calendar as an auspicious event, one that deserves an annual celebration. Today, I take up the mantle of 100 Word Challenge, inheriting a favorite writing prompt from word-meister extraordinaire, Velvet Verbosity.

Lately, I’ve been reading Ransom Riggs’ Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children trilogy. I love these sorts of fantasies. The whole time I’ve been immersed in these books, I’ve wondered what my peculiar talent would be if I was one of Miss Peregrine’s wards.

Would it be invisibility, or would I be a firestarter? Maybe I could fly, or have superhuman strength. If I could choose, I’d want the power of shapeshifting – being able to change into any animal I wanted.

I knew there was something peculiar about you,” she said. “And I mean that as the highest compliment.”

The first word, for this reincarnation of 100 Words is:

Peculiar

Send me your 100 words – fiction, memoir, poem, thriller, mystery, scifi… whatever you’d like. Only, make it 100 words exactly – no more, no less. You can use the word, or imply it in your story. You have until midnight Tuesday CST to submit your entry.

A link back to this post is greatly appreciated, and remember, everyone likes comments. Try to spread a little love to your fellow Wordsters.

100 Word Challenge badge2

For full rules and invitations to more writing prompts, check out Writing Prompts in the top nav bar.

1. My 100:

It’s really quite peculiar, this hunter’s den. A room set in a forest, his trophies hang scattered across the tree trunks, some on plaques, some on the tip of the spears that slayed them, and still more impaled on the ends of the naked branches, the same fear frozen on each face. All but one, the most peculiar of all, which stretched across the top of the crystal fountain from which the hunter always drank. This is his greatest prize, his pride and joy. Instead of just the human head for once, there lay the trunk and arms as well.

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh, that is creepy, and in a good way.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks! Felt good to stretch my muscles.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for joining in, Stephanie! Thanks too for using the option to post your entry in the comments. Hopefully, other participants will see this as another easy way to submit their stories.

Liked by 1 person

2. Oh I do love it! But then, we know what I like.

Liked by 2 people

3. Stephanie!!!! shiver, shiver, shivvvvvver (good stuff)

Liked by 1 person

2. I’ve been reading the posts in the linky. So many people I’ve missed. And it was so easy to drop back into a word count challenge. Thank you, Tara!

Liked by 1 person

1. The response to the return of 100 Words has far exceeded my expectations, and I could not be happier. I hope you and everyone else keeps coming back. Thank you!

3. Congratulations. It’s a great challenge and a fun way to begin my Sunday. Pop over and mention the challenge over at Soapbox! Ally 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for the support, Ally. I really appreciate it.

4. […] 100 Word Challenge – the prompt is “peculiar” –  has been resurrected by Tara. Seeing so many familiar names of much-admired friends I felt I had to join in. Please click the […]

5. I don’t think I’ve ever done the 100 word challenge and that was harder than I thought it would be. I’ll just have to do it more often! And…congrats to you, this is a perfect fit for you! XOXOXO

Liked by 1 person

1. Yay, Melissa! Now you’ve gotten the hard part behind you, and you’re a 100 Word warrior. Can’t wait to read more of your stories.

6. KymmInBarcelona January 30, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Ha! I forgot how stressed I get posting and linking… Think I got it right, but is there a place to read them all?
    PS You rock, Tara!

Liked by 1 person

1. So glad to see your name pop up over here, Kymm! You can find all the posts listed in the Linky sign-up. There isn’t a single post that includes all of them.

1. KymmInBarcelona January 30, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Okay, thanks! Will get on it.

Liked by 1 person

7. […] friend Tara of Thin Spiral Notebook https://thinspiralnotebook.com/2016/01/27/100-word-challenge-peculiar/ has taken over the 100 Word Challenge from Velvet Verbosity. It’s how Tara and I met well […]

8. and . . . the dust has been blown off the blog and a link back to you . . . and a post, well, posted! Thanks, Tara

Liked by 1 person

1. Hurray! This is so exciting, to see the old gang back to writing.

9. Fun is back..
    I linked up for this week’s prompt

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for joining in, Ruby. Good to see you again!

Join the discussion...