100 Word Challenge: Peculiar

giraffe expression

Today’s a special day for me. I will mark this down on my calendar as an auspicious event, one that deserves an annual celebration. Today, I take up the mantle of 100 Word Challenge, inheriting a favorite writing prompt from word-meister extraordinaire, Velvet Verbosity.

Lately, I’ve been reading Ransom Riggs’ Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children trilogy. I love these sorts of fantasies. The whole time I’ve been immersed in these books, I’ve wondered what my peculiar talent would be if I was one of Miss Peregrine’s wards.

Would it be invisibility, or would I be a firestarter? Maybe I could fly, or have superhuman strength. If I could choose, I’d want the power of shapeshifting – being able to change into any animal I wanted.

I knew there was something peculiar about you,” she said. “And I mean that as the highest compliment.”

The first word, for this reincarnation of 100 Words is:

Peculiar

Send me your 100 words – fiction, memoir, poem, thriller, mystery, scifi… whatever you’d like. Only, make it 100 words exactly – no more, no less. You can use the word, or imply it in your story. You have until midnight Tuesday CST to submit your entry.

A link back to this post is greatly appreciated, and remember, everyone likes comments. Try to spread a little love to your fellow Wordsters.

100 Word Challenge badge2

For full rules and invitations to more writing prompts, check out Writing Prompts in the top nav bar.

1. I’m so glad you’re taking up the reins on this! I’ve dded my link and am ready to roll! 🙂

2. So glad you took on the 100 word challenge!! I might have to join back up. I’ve been needing another regular prompt challenge. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Please do, Sarah! We would love to have you join in.

3. […] for 100 words hosted at Thin Spiral Notebook. The prompt was “peculiar“. Check it […]

4. […] a last moment decision to enter the 100 Word Challenge. Since I was strapped for time I gave myself 5 minutes to write and another 3 to try and clean up […]

Liked by 1 person

5. I wrote one! You can find it right here: http://katherinebryant.wix.com/author#!Peculiar/c1q8z/56af83610cf2b4e0b61305b7

This was a lot of fun. I’m sure I’ll be participating more in the future. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Loved your 100 Words, Katherine! So glad you stopped by, and I hope you come back often.

6. My 100:

It’s really quite peculiar, this hunter’s den. A room set in a forest, his trophies hang scattered across the tree trunks, some on plaques, some on the tip of the spears that slayed them, and still more impaled on the ends of the naked branches, the same fear frozen on each face. All but one, the most peculiar of all, which stretched across the top of the crystal fountain from which the hunter always drank. This is his greatest prize, his pride and joy. Instead of just the human head for once, there lay the trunk and arms as well.

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh, that is creepy, and in a good way.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks! Felt good to stretch my muscles.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for joining in, Stephanie! Thanks too for using the option to post your entry in the comments. Hopefully, other participants will see this as another easy way to submit their stories.

Liked by 1 person

2. Oh I do love it! But then, we know what I like.

Liked by 2 people

3. Stephanie!!!! shiver, shiver, shivvvvvver (good stuff)

Liked by 1 person

7. I’ve been reading the posts in the linky. So many people I’ve missed. And it was so easy to drop back into a word count challenge. Thank you, Tara!

Liked by 1 person

1. The response to the return of 100 Words has far exceeded my expectations, and I could not be happier. I hope you and everyone else keeps coming back. Thank you!

8. Congratulations. It’s a great challenge and a fun way to begin my Sunday. Pop over and mention the challenge over at Soapbox! Ally 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for the support, Ally. I really appreciate it.

9. […] 100 Word Challenge – the prompt is “peculiar” –  has been resurrected by Tara. Seeing so many familiar names of much-admired friends I felt I had to join in. Please click the […]

10. I don’t think I’ve ever done the 100 word challenge and that was harder than I thought it would be. I’ll just have to do it more often! And…congrats to you, this is a perfect fit for you! XOXOXO

Liked by 1 person

1. Yay, Melissa! Now you’ve gotten the hard part behind you, and you’re a 100 Word warrior. Can’t wait to read more of your stories.

11. KymmInBarcelona January 30, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Ha! I forgot how stressed I get posting and linking… Think I got it right, but is there a place to read them all?
    PS You rock, Tara!

Liked by 1 person

1. So glad to see your name pop up over here, Kymm! You can find all the posts listed in the Linky sign-up. There isn’t a single post that includes all of them.

1. KymmInBarcelona January 30, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Okay, thanks! Will get on it.

Liked by 1 person

12. […] friend Tara of Thin Spiral Notebook https://thinspiralnotebook.com/2016/01/27/100-word-challenge-peculiar/ has taken over the 100 Word Challenge from Velvet Verbosity. It’s how Tara and I met well […]

13. and . . . the dust has been blown off the blog and a link back to you . . . and a post, well, posted! Thanks, Tara

Liked by 1 person

1. Hurray! This is so exciting, to see the old gang back to writing.

14. Fun is back..
    I linked up for this week’s prompt

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for joining in, Ruby. Good to see you again!

15. […] here today because my dear friend Tara called me out on The 100 Word Challenge, and as she was nice enough to believe in me, I feel as if I owe her a response. And here it […]

Liked by 1 person

1. Can it be?! Troy has written something for me? I am beyond happy, thank you!.

Liked by 1 person

16. I love this idea but how do I send it ?
    Cherryx

Liked by 1 person

1. Hi, Cherry! There are a couple of ways to join in. If you have your own website/blog, write a post using the prompt and link back to this page. Then add the URL of your post to the Mr. Linky widget (it’s the little green link at the end of my post.) Or, if you would rather, you can write your 100 Words and leave the whole thing as a comment. Easy Peasy!

17. Wonderful, Tara! I’m pleased to join in. Do you see me on the linky? I don’t. Good lord you’d think I never blogged before. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes, I see you, Marian. Thank you so much for joining in.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yay! And thank *you* !!!

Liked by 1 person

18. Thank you for being “that person” who served up that shins kicking and got me back in front of my keyboard. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly this came.

Liked by 2 people

1. I knew you had it in you. I’ve missed your words, and your 100 were spectacular.

1. Thanks Tara. I’ve been waiting for that right poke to get me going. I need to keep this going. There is so much more hidden within waiting to be exposed.

19. […] 100 Word Challenge “Peculiar” […]

20. Tara, I tried to add a link back to your site, but I am rather new at this blogging thing. I don’t think I managed an actually link but at least the name of your site is there.

Liked by 1 person

1. You did fine. The pingback showed up, and I appreciate the link.

21. […] (This is a 100 word challenge with the writting prompt, “Peculiar”. See the whole challenge on:https://thinspiralnotebook.com/2016/01/27/100-word-challenge-peculiar/) […]

22. I minor in collecting giraffe figures and major in hippopotamus figures. Great first word and photo. I’ll get my laptop fired up so it’ll be ready tonight – that machine has serious issues…LOL

Liked by 1 person

23. Exciting! (Giraffes are my favorite animal!)

Liked by 1 person

1. This one had some serious attitude.

1. I can tell! Great shot, by the way.

Liked by 1 person

24. This was so fun. Here is my 100 word story attempt with the prompt, Peculiar!