Turtle rescues

box turtle

I rescue turtles.

To dodge wandering terrapins, I will skid to a stop on the side of the road, often with little to no warning for any motorists behind me. I can only hope these same motorists won’t run over me or the shelled reptile I’m attempting to save.

Lately though, on my morning walks, cars are more easily avoided when I carry turtles from the middle of the road to a safe spot on the opposite shoulder.

This simple gesture of helping other creatures, rescues me as much as the turtles.

lightandshade logo

Light and Shade Weekend Challenge: “Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else’s life forever.” ~ Margaret Cho

11 thoughts on “Turtle rescues

• Tara R. says:

I think it may be scratches from where a fox tried to get some tasty morsel. They appeared to be mostly surface scrapes. If they were deeper, I would have taken the turtle to the emergency vet clinic. I’ve taken injured snappers there before.

1. territerri says:

This seems to be the time of year for turtle rescuing. There are lots of them wandering in dangerous places for turtles around here lately. I love that you protect them like you do. Just stay safe!

I had a box turtle for a pet for over a year when I was about 11 or 12 years old. He was a great listener and liked comic books, too.

3. joetwo says:

I’m reminded of a swan I saw walking up a city street a couple of weeks ago. A taxi and a couple of pedestrians were travelling slowly behind it keeping all other traffic away. The road was jammed for at least a block. It made me feel good to see.

4. SAM says:

I passed a big turtle just starting his adventure in the turning lane. I was going too fast to stop, but I still wonder today if he wasn’t an escapee of the vet clinic behind him.

5. http://jesterqueen.com says:

The woman in Canada who got convicted and sentenced because of the people who slammed into her car when she stopped to save the ducks? My heart breaks. I’m heartsick that people died because the curve was blind. But …. how could she have known that her act of kindness would result in death? I would have stopped for the goddamned ducks, and I hope like hell that her conviction is overturned!

Join the discussion...

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )