Walking into spiderwebs

spiderwebs

Every. Single. One.
Gossamer silk spans the trail
Face and arms find them

Submitted to Haiku Friday for LouCeeL

On a recent trip to Tennessee, I had a chance to hike around Short Springs State Natural Area in Tullahoma. I headed out early in the morning, camera at the ready. I guess my mind was more on looking off trail than what was in front of me. Spider webs seemed to jump across the path at me in every turn, and I only noticed them when I walked directly into each one. I still have the heebie-jeebies.

1. I think this was the only web I didn’t walk through, and only because the sun backlit it and I could see it.

1. That happens to me all the time in my own yard in NC. We have learned to put our hands in front of our face.

1. That’s one reason I started taking a walking stick on my photo hikes. There are days I look like I’m engaging in some sort swash-buckling mime trying to knock down webs.

1. I can laugh about it now too, but at the time, it was very creepy. I felt like I had spiderwebs all over me the rest of the day.

2. There’s a spiderweb outside out backdoor. I can’t bring myself to get rid of it because it’s so well constructed.

1. Spiderwebs are a miracle of nature. I am amazed at the intricacy of them.

3. I love spiderwebs. Not walking into them, of course, but they are such beautiful and incredible creations.
    I took a pretty cool pic of a banana spider on its web at Poe Springs last week. I wanted to share it on my blog, but I feared I’d lose followers. lol

1. If the web had a resident spider, I would have included a *Warning*. Florida has some very impressive arachnids.

4. OH GOD, it’s my face. Every TIME it’s my face. And then for hours, I feel the tiny imaginary spiders spinning more webs in my hair and prickling my scalp and skittering like mad little eight legged lice from one side of my scalp to the other.

1. That was it exactly. The rest of the day my skin crawled.

5. I am a big fan of spiders or even the webs, but I do think they are beautiful to look at, I love how strong and UNRELENTING they are.

the picture was pretty, the thought of them (spiders..) not so much. 😉

1. If I know they are there, I love photographing webs and spiders. It’s the ambush that creeps me out.

6. Yuck! I don’t have a Vietnam story, but a house we moved in to had a shed in the yard. When the door was opened it was full of webs AND spiders. Gaaah! We bought about three cans of spray and with the door open only wide enough to fit can and arm, emptied a can, slammed the door shut and left it for about a week.

1. Florida has spiders called Golden Silk. Just their bodies can grow to 3-4 inches long. They love to build webs across trails, so walking into one is a full-body sort of thing. I haven’t seen any this season. Maybe I’m getting a little better at spider spotting.

7. Thanks Lceel for that… haha
    After walking into a spider web face-first I spend the rest of the day frantically wiping away real or imaginary webs…

8. When I was in Vietnam, we would go on night patrols through the jungle and we constantly run into those things – but the spiders were as big as your hand and they would catch BIRDS in their webs. AND they were poisonous. Very poisonous.

1. Ewww… okay, you win the spider rodeo. That’s going to make me itchy all day.