Battle stations

dragonfly swarm

Angry mosquitoes whizz past my head like a sniper’s bullets. Squadrons strafe exposed and tasty flesh with military precision. A sting! Slap! Bright red droplets of blood… I’ve been hit! Send in reinforcements.

The Trifextra challenge this weekend is: 33 words (exactly) that include among them at least one example of onomatopoeia

*Photo info: This image is of a dragonfly swarm at Big Lagoon State Park near Pensacola. While mosquitoes here on the Gulf Coast may feel like they are as big as dragonflies, they are indeed, much smaller.

1. Oh no! The season of the blitzkreig is upon us!
    Haha. This was terrific. I think all of us felt a sudden itch!

2. Tickled my funny bone 😛 .Nice take on the prompt .

3. Awesome piece! Those little monsters really do seem like the enemy’s attack force. Creative, fun use of the prompt!

4. Ha!ha!What a fun read:-)

5. that group definitely needs to buzz off! fun read for such an irritating topic 🙂

6. Haha! Now I know why I bring my husband along on picnics — to distract the mosquitos! I found this delightful! 😀

7. This is great! Sometimes it does feel like we are under attack (it’s a battle I usually lose, but they won’t scare me inside :))

8. Very descriptive and painful take on the prompt. 🙂 Love all the descriptive words.

9. Great idea. I loved that first line – paints such an accurate picture.

10. I’m always the target of these horrid little dive bombers as well! This was brilliantly done!!

11. You know I never thought of them in this way but now I wonder why I ever thought they should be described in any other way but this!

12. That first sentence is perfect. Love this idea.

13. I lived in Alaska for a couple years, the the locals would tell you the mosquitos were so big there they would land on the runway at the airport. Love your piece, especially the title and the battleground theme. Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

14. Funny title, Tara! Unfortunately, mosquitos love, love, love me. I connected very well with your piece, again unfortunately for me but great for you 😉

15. I remember the mosquitoes we had to deal with in Viet Nam – on a moonlit night, you could see ’em from twenty feet away – and hear them from even farther. Netting helped keep one unbitten – if you were lucky enough to be on a cot. If you were out in a foxhole – you were S.O.L. And them puppies were BIG.

16. I’m with Kir. The title is awesome! And I, too, am one who mosquitoes seem to find delicious. Nasty little critters.

17. excellent use of the prompt….this had a comic book feel to it, but you know, about real life. well done.

18. *sigh* Mosquitoes love me. If not for bug spray, I’d never be able to leave the house in the summer. Loved the imagery of being under attack–that’s exactly what it feels like!

19. Sometimes I just love the TITLES of your pieces. This is one of those times.

“Send in reinforcements” love that line. I actually carry BITE OFF in my purse from memorial Day to Labor Day.

hoping the little buggers lay low this weekend. 😉