Best pun ever!

hiking trailGrowing up, my mother was a master punster. Her word-play calisthenics, to an adolescent, were real groaners. As I get older, my genetic predisposition for puns has begun showing more and more, but mom’s true scion is my daughter.

At the ripe old age of six, she quipped the best pun I’ve ever heard.

We were on a summer walk at a local park the morning after a heavy rain. The combination of dampness and humidity was the perfect environment for mosquitoes and biting no-see-ums.

The pests had us slapping our arms and legs the whole time we were there. Exasperated with the swarm that was feasting on us, my daughter grumbled:

Next time we need to use bug spray so we won’t be bugs’ prey.”

Best pun ever!

wordpress button grunge
Submitted to Daily Prompt. The theme was to, “Tell us a joke!”

1. Aleta says:

LOL, that was great! And poetic!

2. That is so perfect!

3. Marie Nicole says:

She’s brilliant! (Like her mom, and grandmother. Of course…)

4. Tracie says:

Ha! That IS a great pun. My husband’s love language is puns, and he has passed it down to our daughter. My house is very pun-y every day.

5. LceeL says:

That’s the BAD about living in the South – muggy and buggy. And not necessarily in that order.

6. saintseester says:

You are right, that’s one of the best quips I’ve heard. Kids are so brilliant, sometimes.

7. SAM says:

Thats a great pun! I love puns, especially those that come out unintentionally.

8. Kir Piccini says:

I have been meaning to tell you this story.
    You know that my mom and George are currently weighing their options about their retirement FINAL DESTINATION (I am slightly on the edge of sobbing tears every time I think of her moving away..ahem)

but of the places they visited on their 3 week trip, they have finally narrowed it down to two communities. One is in NC and the other is in GA about 10 minutes from Savannah.

my mom is like sweet nectar to mosquitoes, she can be outside for less than 2 minutes and come inside the house looking like they’d made a quick meal of her. About two weeks ago she had a Manhattan (or two) and was talking to me…”we need to go, Kirst, it’s going to be okay. You know what I’m worried about? He’s taking me to “Muggy and Buggy”, I mean can you believe this? Muggy and buggy…”

I still giggle.

so your mom’s pun and then your daughter’s reminded me of my own mom’s…more GIGGLES.

1. Tara R. says:

That is funny! But, she’s right.