This little light of mine

Standing before his congregation, exalted and sainted among men, his extracurricular women crowding pews on both sides of the aisle, he droned on through his soliloquy denouncing his flock’s sinful ways.

A waning moon illuminated the outdoor revival, bathing the faithful in ecclesiastical brilliance. He took it as a sign when a shaft of Luna’s shimmering light fell on the face of one enticingly unexplored ingénue.

Receiving her innocent smile, he focused his message of redemption on her. A glance and intention not unnoticed by her vigilant father, who began planning a preemptive “Coming to Jesus” meeting of his own.

The Trifecta challenge this week is: LIGHT [noun \līt\] 3a: a source of light; a celestial body
The 100 Word Challenge is to tell a story in only 100 words. This week’s theme is ‘Sainted’

1. Ha! Loved this one. Especially that last line. You are such a mischievous imp with your writing sometimes dear Tara.

Also see you’ve changed your design again. Looks nice!

2. Diane Turner says:

The photo is dynamite, and then I read the words. More dynamite, and the ending? More of the same. I love, love, love your phrases (ecclesiastical brilliance, enticingly unexplored ingenue, extracurricular women). Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

3. stankmeaner says:

Just playing with words wise, this was one of your more brilliant short tales. It was beautifully written and the ending made me laugh out loud. But that picture? Shew, that is gorgeous…

4. Kylie says:

Loved this: “extracurricular women”!

5. barbara says:

oh, I do love me some coin to JAYsus! meetings. :) Perfect

You had me at “ecclesiastical brilliance”. With subject matter that required the right words, you found them

7. Suzanne says:

Love this! You had me at extracurricular women and ecclesiastical brilliance. Superbly done!

8. Those preachers …. brilliantly told

9. Love the cool laying-out of the scene. And the vigilant father… all I could think of was ‘takes one to know one’. lol Terrific piece, Tara!

10. Carrie says:

Ah, the hypocrisy of the religious! ;)

11. Draug419 says:

heh, nice (:

12. love the wording you used. “ecclesiastical brilliance” “extracurricular women”
    quite the deviance in a reverent place

13. I love it – especially the dad part. Definitely made me smile :)

14. Kir Piccini says:

it’s funny, because like Ted, I hadn’t heard “coming to Jesus moment” in a long time but recently my best said texted it to me about an old boyfriend of hers.

Charlatan is all I could think of, someone who knows what he’s looking for and once he finds it, uses it and then discards it because he can. I didn’t like the preacher but I did love this scene and your writing.

15. The Real Cie says:

What a stunning photograph.
    The preacher man in your story makes me think a bit of the Jimmy Swaggart scandal.

16. Ecclesiastical brilliance is a killer phrase.

17. tedstrutz says:

“Coming to Jesus” I haven’t heard that in a long time! Well phrased and nice with the two prompts, Tara.

18. angelgal3176 says:

Do I see dad collecting the items he needs to polish his gun?

1. angelgal3176 says:

I don’t know that I even realized you did both here – nice! Very nice!

19. Mama Zen says:

I love the tone of this!