In the out door

French Quarter doorwayI’ve always hated that expression, “when one door closes, another one opens.”

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is it an exit or entrance? Which room does it open on – bedroom, kitchen, bathroom? That would suck.

What if you have to walk backward through it, or are trying to be nice by holding the door for everyone else, does your new opportunity go to them instead?

It’s a stupid saying…

For all I know it’s a revolving door that spits me out right where I started, while still thinking I’m in a better place.

It’s just ridiculous, all this talk about doors.

Now, if they’re talking about making your own door, that’s something else entirely. Hand me that hammer and nails, this is going to take some time and hard work.

The Trifecta challenge this week is: Door [noun \ˈdȯr\] 3: a means of access or participation : opportunity
This week’s Studio30 Plus prompt is “Backward,” and/or “Perce-neige.”

*Photo venue: French Quarter, New Orleans

1. atrm61 says:

Absolutely true-at least one has a better chance then to stay in or go out ,slam it shut or keep it open as one pleases:-)Loved your take Tara-great writing once again:-)

2. Joe says:

I’ve always hated that expression, too. Did someone already lock the just-closed door? Does it not have a DOORKNOB? So the door closed. Open it! Sheesh.

Anyway – fun post. I love a nice little burst of ranting.

3. kdillmanjones says:

I adore the photo you added!

4. Linda Vernon says:

I love your take and agree with you. I never really thought about it but that saying is rather a cop out, advice-wise!

5. Lumdog says:

Very cool take on the prompt. Build your own door and knock a wall down while you’re at it. Go for it!

6. I share your thoughts – make your own doors or remain where you are.

7. I’m not posting until tomorrow, but you & I are on the same wave about that revolving door. Loved your thoughts about holding the door for someone else & passed opportunities.

8. Suzanne says:

Love your take on the prompt! You don’t have to be a carpenter to build your own door, right? ;)

9. Sandra says:

You make your own luck… nicely done.

10. Brian Benoit says:

Nice job turning the adage on its head! It’s true, too, isn’t it? Sometime’s you’ve got to make your own opportunities

11. I hear ya! Gorgeous photo, too.
    Immediately made me think of this:

12. joetwo says:

I always say when God closes a door he keeps a window insecurely locked!

13. rangewriter says:

I love this one. Especially walking backwards . . . !

14. stankmeaner says:

This made me totally laugh out loud. I love the twist on giving your opportunity away if you let someone else walk through your newly opened door. It’s cool that you do funny snark just as well as the pretty stuff ;)

15. ann bennett says:

Great take on prompt. The prompt spoke to me literally. I like what you did with that route.

16. tedstrutz says:

Hot Damn! This is an excellent response to this prompt, and you have my vote Tara.

17. jannatwrites says:

I like the humor and truth in this. At least if you make your own door, you know where it leads :)

18. Ambalika says:

Never thought a door could cause so much mental agony , funny interpretation :)

19. Draug419 says:

Love it :D I love the attitude, and there are so many cool lines and questions.

20. Damn right, Tara. I love this, and I love the photo, too. New Orleans has some amazing doors, both literal and figurative.

21. CyndyNewsome says:

My best friend tells me that all the time. I used to like it, find it reassuring. But in the last year, I’m over it. Leave my freaking doors and windows alone!!!

22. Valerie says:

And then there are those darn dog doors-never had a dog smart enough to go through one, but I had to once when I locked myself out of the house;)

I like the idea of building my own door-and my own luck too. Great writing!

1. Tara R. says:

The only experience I have with dog doors, is one my mom had in her house. Raccoons kept getting inside… not good.

23. Marie Nicole says:

So basically… if I were to start saying “When one door closes” you’d most likely slam that door in my face? *snicker* Cool blend of 2 prompts!

1. Tara R. says:

Maybe not slam it, but definitely push you out of the way to go through first. HA!