Past imperfect

If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Buddha

Confess your imperfections, write them on a wall for all the world to see. Use big, bold strokes, in brutal black paint, where it cannot be ignored. Admit to every flaw, every shortcoming. Reveal your darkest lies and faults.

Yet… leave it unsigned.

Watch as the world passes by, watch as they read your words and see your images. Listen as they speculate about who is the author of these admissions, listen as they speak the names of those they believe are guilty.

Yet… you are not among the accused.

No one recognizes you. Only you see these perceived failings.

The 100 Word Challenge is to tell a story in only 100 words. This week’s theme is ‘Wall’
Inspired by the Studio30 Plus prompt “Imperfect

1. This. was. stunning. I think this is my all-time favorite of yours!

2. Carrie says:

great piece Tara. Definitely makes you think

3. So true! If only we could be as nice to ourselves as we are to others that need our support!

4. Megan Eccles says:

This is positively lovely.

5. Elastamom says:

This is exactly what I’m working on right now. So much harder than it should be!!!

6. Diane Turner says:

Yikes! Guilty as charged. We women (especially) do judge ourselves negatively, I think, even when others don’t. Excellent piece and word choices. Thanks for sharing.

7. Chuck says:

Great stuff. This also led me to the 100 word prompt which is a great little piece of inspiration. Great work.

8. stankmeaner says:

Brutal black paint…I love the imagery in this. Even if some of your perceived imperfections are true, wear them proudly as it means you still have things to learn.

9. LceeL says:

That’s why friends are so important – “a friend is a mirror, to see yourself as others do” ~ Me.

10. Marie Nicole says:

The drawing is awesome and the words are even better. We do see ourselves way too harshly. We all have imperfections, they are what make us so beautiful!

11. k~ says:

This was a really impressive way of expressing the way that people see things differently. The people who guessed, were carrying their own reflections of life as they saw it, as the observer unsigned, you could become comfortable with the flaws, while recognizing that the passers by found a way to do the same within themselves.

Nice job Tara.

12. Pamela Gold says:

I recently saw this video on Facebook where a police sketch artist sat with a woman and without seeing her, drew her as she described herself. Then the man would draw the same woman based on findings of someone who had met her earlier that day. All based on looks. The results were shocking. Most of us see ourselves in the shadows and others view us in the sunshine. It’s amazing and your piece here reminded me of that. I’m over here from Studio30 Plus, where I’m a newbie. Nice to “meet” you.

13. Very wise observations – everyone perceives their own flaws keenly whether they admit it or not.

14. Kir Piccini says:

ah, this one spoke to me. How many times do we judge ourselves too harshly when no one else is doing it at all?

I loved the picture, the abstract Perfection of it.