Back in the black

Death fence

It was another one of those days. You know the kind… the hurrieder I go, the behinder I get.

You feel like you’re moving at warp speed, but everything around you is slogging along in slow motion. Every time I thought I was close to closing a contract – Boom! Another damn miracle conversion.

Doesn’t matter that it was all self-serving, they all are. As soon as someone utters those words, my claim is void. There should be rules of engagement, a gentleman’s agreement against poaching another man’s quarry.

I’ve got quotas to fill and I was hella behind.

If it wasn’t so pathetic, watching you sweat, it would’ve been funny. No matter how hard you tried to get out of hot water, the deeper you sank. All I had to do was turn up the heat a little, and I was back in the black.

Your cursed day turned out to be my lucky one.

The Trifecta challenge this week is: Lucky [adj. \ˈlə-kē\] 3: producing or resulting in good by chance; favorable

1. jannatwrites says:

I love the voice of this piece. Very entertaining read!

2. Christine says:

“Then you showed up, and it was like a gift from heaven. See what I did there… I slay me!” I almost spit my coffee out at that one. :) This is a fun little story – loved it!

3. Loved this–a very distinctive and original voice for death to have.

4. I love his voice–arrogant and mocking and carefree. Neat write.

5. Draug419 says:

Very clever and cool (:

6. kymminbarcelona says:

Well, aren’t you the devil.

7. deanabo says:

Very nice! I love it when it works out that way.

8. steph says:

Like the others I had to read it twice – but when you get it – the rewards are great! Nicely done!

9. I read this earlier this morning and had to come back to it this evening, good twist about fate. What is good for one can be bad for another.

10. loved it! such a short passage, and yet so much story told.

11. Always our lucky day when you get catched up.

12. Good one…. very good!

13. lceel says:

Ah. Memories of Geraldine … “The Devil made me do it.”

14. El Guapo says:

I’d hate to see how he goes out ot celebrate hitting his quotas…

15. Kir Piccini says:

don’t you love that?? This was so good. Wicked and funny and irreverent. Loved it.

16. I read it twice before I understood the quotas, then laughed out loud at the picture. This was the perfect description of a day we at our home refer to as ‘a suckfest.’ With the exception of the final demise, of course! Well written and wickedly funny. Amy

17. tedstrutz says:

Yeah, a bad day’s a bitch… for everybody sometimes.

18. Thanks for the story. I liked it.