Origami wren

Whispering secrets as gentle as a zephyr
Shaking leaves of the weeping willow echo
Each word, each emotion in equal measure

Reading old letters, faded and yellow
Our love affair dead, bleeding out through his pen
His lies, my offering, wing o’er the meadow

Paper drifts on the breeze, origami wren
Folded and creased, sharp angles and dire edges
Razor-honed phrases, punish and cut me again

Sweet nothings we shared, solemn holy pledges
I lost faith in us, the could-bes and what-ifs
Promises hollow, half-truths your messages

These tattered scraps, torn from my heart, lasting gifts

This week’s Studio30 Plus theme is “weeping willow,” and/or “inspiring personality.”
The 100 Word Challenge  is to tell a story in only 100 words. This week’s theme is ‘Shake’

1. This is a beautiful piece of poetry. Just amazing. Is there anything you can’t do?

2. Rachael says:

This really is beautiful.
    It is hard to let go of what-ifs and could-bes, no matter how hollow they turn out to be.

3. debseeman says:

I always wonder why we (I) hang on to those old paper memories, and moreover, why I choose to relive them by reading them again and again. Maybe it’s to remind myself to never be hurt like that again. It’s a lesson I can’t afford to forget. Tara, you’ve capture the pain, and the necessity-the gift they hold.

4. barbara says:

oh, Tara. Our lost loves are often the most precious and searing. This was beautiful in its pain.

5. Joe says:

I am glad I read this. It tugs. Thank you for writing it.

6. A truly beautiful piece of work from an extremely talented woman. Thank you.

7. Sad and beautiful. And I love that little wren!

8. burghbaby says:

9. Kir Piccini says:

here in my 43rd year, I know that losing someone you loved before you were ready to let go…even decades later, can still hurt, can still make you look at yourself differently and can “punish and cut”.

I wish that What ifs didn’t haunt our lives like they sometimes do.
    this was GORGEOUS.

10. deanabo says:

Tara, I cant find the right words to express how beautifully sad this is.

11. Marie says:

Oh the sadness of the accumulation of what if’s and could be’s…