Eighth level of hell

rusty iron bands

It’s a slow awakening, floundering in a quagmire of dream sensations.

Opening my eyes only makes it worse. The light sears into my brain, tightening the torturous iron bands wrapped around my head, pressing into tender temples and squeezing every rational thought out of my ears.

I close my eyes again, hoping paper-thin lids are strong enough to hold back the throbbing orbs from exploding.

Curling my body into a clenched fist, trying to block out what sounds I can with leaden arms, all I want is to return to my oblivious sleep.

Migraines, the eighth level of hell.

The 100 Word Challenge at Velvet Verbosity takes a single theme to tell a story in only 100 words. This week’s theme is ‘Temples.’

1. barbara says:

my daughter also suffers from migraines. I hurt for her. This is way too vividly real!

2. DonettaS says:

You described migraines perfect. I haven’t had many, but the ones I have had are terribly bad to the point of throwing up. I can’t imagine having them often than I have.

3. KBar3 says:

I’ve never had one (I’m not bragging). With that description I pray to God I never do!

4. Bee says:

I haven’t had many, but they’re definitely hell.

5. zennjennc says:

I knew from the start you were writing of migraines. Oh i know the pain all too well and yoy’ve done a wonderful job describing the agony they bring.

6. BettyRants says:

I feel like you have been inside my head for the last few days. I’ve been battling a migraine since Friday. I get “cluster migraines” so they go on for days at a time. This was a perfect description. May you never have another. They are awful! Thank you for communicating that so clearly.

7. Elastamom says:

I’ve had two in my whole life and they were so horrific.

8. Kir Piccini says:

oh yes, they are terrible. I actually miss the ones that were merely painful, instead of the kind I get now, which leave my body tingling (the first few times it happened, I was sure I’d had a stroke, My regular migraines are now Complex or Complicated Migraines) and they are 8th, 9th and 10th level of hell for sure.

Hope you didn’t have to have one to write this.

1. Tara R. says:

My son used to get migraines so bad he would throw up. He had prescription meds, but couldn’t take them until he felt a headache rising, by then all we could do was get him into a dark, quiet room and hopefully he could sleep it off. I get one, maybe one or two days a month, usually if my thyroid levels are off. They aren’t as bad as my son’s were, but they can still put me into a fetal position and make me very, very grouchy.

9. territerri says:

My son suffered migraines from the time he was around 4 years old until around the middle school years when he seemed to finally outgrow them. They always made me feel so helpless. I can’t imagine having one.

10. you should try to get this to an ad agency for a migraine pain reliever company.

11. deanabo says:

There is no worse feeling in the world. You wrote it well.

Bobina gets them. I’m so sorry. I felt like I was watching her go through it reading your 100.

13. So sorry, you paint this vividly. My daughter gets migraines. I’ve never had one, but I can see how much she suffers.

14. Carrie says:

I hate migraines. Thankfully I only get them once or twice a year