Wild blue yonder

Today’s Blue Light Special is free time.

Time to walk around an empty house without stepping on errant Lego bricks. Time to eat lunch while it’s still warm without tiny fingers snatching bits from your plate.

Time to savor the smoky aroma of fresh brewed coffee, when you long for the greasy, sweet scent of crayons and finger paints.

Free time to do everything left unresolved over the past 18 years, only to find you no longer have the energy or enthusiasm to do anything.

An identity crisis – time to finally figure out what to be when you grow up.

This week’s Studio30 Plus theme is “foam,” and/or “blue light special
The 100 Word Challenge, to tell a story in only 100 words. This week’s theme is “Crisis”

1. lceel says:

Too much time – to do too much thinking – and reminiscing. You feel like a disused pool toy, floating in the water, bouncing off the sides of the pool as the breeze takes you this way and that – but you don’t really get anywhere.

Love your piece. xoxoxox

2. my boys are only 7 and 9 and I still step on Legos, but you’re already making me nostalgic!

3. Elastamom says:

It’s such a fine line between wanting for yourself and not wanting them to grow up. I think many people struggle with the “who am I” when those legos and crayons are gone.

4. dxpepper says:

I have seen 2 go and have 2 more to hold on to . . . well done with the prompt this week!

5. barbara says:

when my oldest left home I cried for a week. She was the child of my youth – we had done a lot of growing up together. 5 years later her sister left home and it was bittersweet, but not as emotonally tearing. Now they are entering the empty nest phase of their lives and I am here to tell them – as I share with you – it hurts, but it is the way of life – and you WILL get through it and come out the other side as better friends. Hugs, Tara. (here’s a tissue, my friend)

6. saintseester says:

This makes me a little sad, because my time to let go is coming all too fast.

awesome leaking out of my eyes…watery stuff….jerk

8. Carrie says:

A little empty nester syndrome happening here :)

9. Love the second paragraph, it was perfectly played. I’m soon to be going through this, and because I’m a hardcore introvert and enjoy my alone time, I’m assuming I’ll savor it at first. But I’m not a fool, I know it will be bittersweet.

10. Kir Piccini says:

well I’m smack dab in the middle of this…with many many more years to go. I felt the longing in this, the culmination of “this is what you wanted…” and not knowing what to do with it.

the picture was the perfect accompaniment to your words.

11. Marie says:

This is the saddest thing ever! Like stories of people who finally retire and plan on spending their life savings by taking all the trips they’d dreamed about but to suddenly die of a heart attack.

12. deanabo says:

There is only one thing I drive more than Taylor leaving to go to college next year. It’s today after she leaves.

13. SAM says:

or time to scrape the last bits of potato chip from the bag without begs for sharing. :)