Cold comfort

windshield iceI got an especially early start to my photo hike on Saturday. So early in fact, that I had to scrape ice off my windshield. A climatic phenomenon that is nearly unheard of in Northwest Florida. It was freakin’ COLD… well, to me it was cold. I even went back in the house to pick up my Target purchase from a past photo hike. I should just leave the hoodie in my car.

By the time I arrived at my intended hiking spot – Pine Log State Forest near Ebro, FL – it had warmed up nicely, and I could shuck my jacket. I spent a little over an hour tramping through the pines and palmettos at Pine Log, then drove a bit down the road to Ponce de Leon State Park to amble around the springs.

You can click on any image to see a larger photo, or the series as a slideshow.

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, Nikon CoolPix S205 and/or iPhone4)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream.

Unknown Mami
Submitted to Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City

1. unknownmami says:

I’m pretty sure that ice on the windshield qualifies as cold just about anywhere. Sure it could be colder, but cold is still cold.

2. You have some of the most beautiful spots to hike, Tara. I love everything about your neck of the woods.

3. startraci says:

What an absolutely beautiful park. I am so glad that it warmed up for you because you got some great shots!

4. Nita says:

Really beautiful!

5. Joy says:

What a beautiful spot…even though it’s cold. According to the papers, we’re having the coldest day here in two years. Have a great week Tara. ~Joy

6. Kir Piccini says:

loving the pictures, such a wonderful time you have “CAPTURING” for us.

it’s COLD up here…brrrrrrrr. Need more than a hoodie and I don’t like it :(

7. Robyn Engel says:

What a lovely, relaxing spot. Thanks for sharing it with us, Tara.

Have a good week.

8. territerri says:

Your overnight temps must have REALLY dropped if you had to scrape your windows. I’m glad it warmed up enough that you could lose the jacket. Looks like it turned out to be a beautiful day.

9. I remember having to scrape ice off of my vehicle when I lived (Orlando and Brevard County) :D

GORGEOUS shots!!

10. llcooljoe says:

Ha you have no idea what cold is! I’m counting down the weeks until we go to AZ!

Nice photos. :)

11. Tracie says:

We aren’t getting any frost down here in Orlando (it seems that we are to have no “winter” this year, which is sad). I love looking at your pics and thinking about home.

12. Lovely pics. Especially the water. Don’t fret. Spring is on the way…

13. We didn’t have frost on the windshields this week but definitely felt a blast of cold air one day! It only got into the 60s! heehee! We got out the coats! lol Love your beautiful photos! Another park I would love to visit! Happy Sunday!

14. Dorothy says:

Warm enough to shuck the jacket…I’m jealous!! Looks like a lovely hike!

15. Molly says:

Snow like crazy here today… everywhere looks lovely but I have a real desire for spring now

16. Keetha says:

Had to scrape your window in FL, huh? I KNOW that’s unusual.

However – – – we’re at 2 F this morning with a whopping HIGH today forecast to be 13 F, so I don’t think I can “give” you the word cold for what you’ve got! Hehehehehe

1. Tara R. says:

If all I have to contend with is a little rime on the windows, I’ll take that over 2F any time. That’s not just cold, that’s frigid.

17. teguzchica says:

I had no idea that rushing springs were in Florida at all. Nice photographs indeed. It’s cold here, too. Somedays I have taken to wearing shoes rather than sandals. Brrr.

18. Dysfunctional Mom says:

I love the rushing water pic.
    The last 2 pics (creek and trail) look like they could have been taken here, in my yard. =)