Climbing the rostrum, the maestro raps his baton on his music stand to focus the performers attention on him. Raising his arms, he cues the orchestra.

The opening notes, an unrelenting rhythm, drums upon the seaboard. Your heart marches to the percussionist’s beat.

With a trembling hand, the conductor brings in the mournful hum of reeds, playing beneath a swell of dragonfly wings, and you feel like you could take flight.

Quickening the tempo, shore birds tap out a rapid staccato, building your anticipation towards the final movement.

If you cannot hear the music, then you are simply not listening.

Submitted to the 100 Word Challenge, a writing prompt created by Velvet Verbosity. This week’s theme is ‘Listening.’
Submitted to Skywatch Friday, Season 6: Episode 21

1. barbara says:

the ocean has its own swells and chords and summer life increases it. Love this, Tara.

2. Kir Piccini says:

well…that is just the prettiest song I ever heard. You are so lucky to live so close to the music of the ocean.

3. Cathy says:

Moving description. I particularly liked the last line.

4. love the last line, so true… beautiful image!

5. lina@women says:

Wonderful words and shot.

6. As I said on Twitter, this made me want to see an expanded version. Sometimes a story needs to continue, and mostly I love the compactness of the 100 words, but in this case I felt like the song was just getting warmed up. ;)

7. Eileen says:

Great capture! Looks like a wonderful place. Thanks for sharing your skies. Happy Skywatching!

8. deanabo says:

I could hear the music. Brilliantly written.