My daughter is home for Thanksgiving.

She called me around 4:30 Friday morning to let me know she was on the road, and continued with periodic updates along her route. We had our first family dinner at home since March – the last time she was here, visiting during her Spring Break from school.

It’s weird having a child old enough that she “visits”  instead of moves back in between school breaks.

Her 13-hour, marathon road trip meant that I still went out on my Saturday photo hike, because I knew she would sleep late.

I stayed close and made the short drive to the Gulf again, hanging out at Henderson Beach State Park and Crystal Beach, both near Destin, FL., thankful that I have such a beautiful place to visit anytime I want.

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, Nikon CoolPix S205 and/or iPhone4)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream.

Unknown Mami
Submitted to Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City

1. Melisa Wells says:

That second-to-last shot? DROOL.

2. unknownmami says:

Beautiful photographs. I hope the time spent with your daughter was wonderful.

3. Those are absolutely gorgeous beach shots. Wow.
    Have a fantastic time with your daughter and a very happy Thanskgiving!

4. Kir Piccini says:

I am so glad that your daughter is home (even though I know she truly wanted to be overseas).
    When I was younger and would be told I was “just like my mother” I would shudder and then promise myself that as much as I loved her, that I would never live next door or in the same town. (LOL).
    we all know how that worked out, she lives 20 minutes away and it’s too far. I miss her, I call her daily..and even when she drives me batty, she is my north star.

the pictures of the beach have me wishing for a vacation or at least warmer weather…I really do hate wearing coats.

enjoy your holiday…I’m thankful that you are going to enjoy it very much this year with your family all around you.

5. Elastamom says:

I am so glad she’s home…enjoy your time together!

6. lisleman says:

Good to have good weather for the visit. I guess the BP oil disaster mess is now long gone for your beaches?

7. territerri says:

I know how great it feels to have your daughter home again. Enjoy your time with her!

8. Robyn Engel says:

I want to sink into that sand and stay for hours, or days.
    Be well, Tara.

9. I love the white sandy beaches. It’s just so inviting, and beautiful!

10. BLOGitse says:

I could live there and never leave.
    In Málaga it’s raining….Costa del Sol is now Costa del lluvia.
    I miss dry and clear days – perfect to have long walks, not today.
    Have a good week ahead!

11. Keetha says:

None of our 4 children are coming for Thanksgiving. Enjoy her while you can.

12. Molly says:

The sea looks so inviting….. do you ever swim in the sea?

1. Tara R. says:

Oh yes! The water is crystal clear. You can walk out into chest deep water and still see the bottom. During the summer months, it’s as warm as a bathtub. My kids have actually gone swimming in the Gulf as early as February. Even now, the water temps are about 62F (17C).

13. Judy Loeffler says:

Thanksgiving is all about family. Have a good one. and enjoy your visit with your daughter. Our daughter and family will be home for Christmas. the first time in 5 years.

14. Laurie says:

Keep hiking. I love your blog, even if it makes me miss the pristine beaches of Florida.

15. mrs4444 says:

Funny, how that last one actually reminds me of snow and looks cold to me:)

I love these photos. Your “beach eye” is excellent.

I’m glad your daughter will be home for the holidays. Enjoy her. If we need to skip Millicent and Pauley next week, I’ll understand.

17. I think I like the version of one of those on instagram that says “Neener Neener”