Turpentine pines

It was gorgeous this weekend. When I headed out on my photo hike it was a crisp 55F, and it only rose to the low 70s. The skies were cloudless and pale blue.

I went back to Grayton Beach State Park to hike along the lake trails. The evergreens there are remnants of the turpentine groves that were heavily tapped for resin used in the production process. The turpentine industry in Walton and Okaloosa Counties in Florida, dates as far back as the late 1870s. There are still stumps showing tap holes scattered among the long needle pines at Grayton Beach.

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, Nikon CoolPix S205 and/or iPhone4)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream.

Unknown Mami

To see other city scenes from around the world, check out Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City. Don’t forget to show the love to Mami and the other City contributors.

1. Keetha says:

Thanks for taking us along on your Sunday stroll at the beach.

2. lisleman says:

I didn’t know they had turpentine groves in Florida. I wonder if it was dangerous to make. nice shots

3. Robyn Engel says:

Your pictures are breathtaking as always, Tara.

4. I love the fact that you’ve lived in Florida long enough that you will actually hike somewhere OTHER than the beach. You totally can’t pry me away from the beach.

5. unknownmami says:

That last photo is so lovely to me, the background looks great.

6. BLOGitse says:

hm…I will not compare your landscape to my post this weekend – like a night and day…
    But we can’t get everything – I’m happy not to be in rainy and dark Helsinki! :)

7. Vidya Sury says:

:-) You’re so creative with your blog background, Tara. And your photo watermarks. Loved the photos – amazing water and sky. That sand is so white!

8. Molly says:

I wish I lived in a country where autumn looked like this

9. territerri says:

Wow! So much color. What a beautiful place!

10. First: I love the new theme. Totally suits the name!

I love the moth picture. I have a thing for the winged creatures. Always makes me wonder if there’s going to be a fairy under those wings.

11. Tami says:

Very pretty Tara! I really like the last one.

12. teguzchica says:

I agree with Lance. The Notebook is inspiring in its layout. However, my real shout out goes to the turpentine reference. My father explained this process to me as a child while deep in a piney forest in Mississippi. And nice barbed wire, which is usually only noted when it tags your clothes. But here, it’s a thing of beauty.

i dig the changes you make to the blog every time. This one is easy to read for old people like me.