A cornucopia of corn

Doesn’t included half a dozen cans of corn in the pantry

When I began sorting through all the food in my freezer, in preparation of the coming hurricane season, I found – much to my dismay – an overabundance of corn, both in cut and cob form.

*note to self: do not buy any corn for at least 12 months.

I loathe to throw it out, but also know I need to be creative in how I use it. There are the ubiquitous recipes for corn muffins – albeit fancied-up with cheddar, green chilies and bacon – corn chowder, and just plain old buttered corn.

Then… I thought of the out-of-control cilantro and jalapeños that are growing in my salsa garden. Corn? Salsa? ¡Si!

Corn and Black Bean Salsa

• Servings: 6 cups
  • Time: 15 mins
  • Difficulty: easy

2, 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
8-12 green onions, sliced
6 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine beans, corn and bell pepper in a large bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, combine green onion, cilantro and remaining ingredients. Blend well, pour over vegetable mixture, stirring until well mixed.

Refrigerate up to three days.

1. If possible, always used fresh ingredients, the flavor is more intense. You can also throw in a little jalapeño to spice the salsa up a bit.

2. When using fresh cilantro, be careful to rinse the bundle well to wash off any remaining dirt. I also strip the stems and only chopped the leaves. If you don’t like cilantro as much as I do, you can always adjust the amount to your own taste.

3. Salsa can be served with corn chips, or as a side with grilled beef, chicken, or fish. It’s also tasty as a condiment on green salads, or on tacos and quesadillas.

1. territerri says:

Almost looks too pretty to eat!

2. I’m going to try this tomorrow. We have bell peppers and fresh corn in our fridge from the co-op that need eating! Thank you for the tip, we love salsa around here too. :D

3. Mama Zen says:

My husband would love this!

4. What a beautiful presentation, and a great idea for corn. What about corn chowder?

1. Tara R. says:

Check the link on corn chowder. It’s one of my favorite cold weather meals.

5. Lou Lohman says:

I’m reading this, just having come back from lunch. Now I want to go back and have MORE!!

6. OMG, it’s beautiful…..now I’m hungry!

7. Mmmm yummy! I’d toss in a little tomato, too, but that’s just because I love tomato so much. I do the same thing, which is how I currently have an overabundance of mozzarrella cheese, amongst other things. Go fig.

The couscous salad I posted uses corn, too. And i have a good pasta salad I posted a few years ago that does, as well. Good luck using up all that corn. Mmmmm fresh food :)

8. Patti says:

I’m sending you a recipe. I’m also going to try your salsa, but can’t help but add some chopped avocado to it. ;-)

1. Tara R. says:

That would be delicious! I’ll have to try that too.

9. Yum. Scott is a huge salsa fan. I like it too, but he’d eat it as a food group. Also, we have a similar corn problem.

1. Tara R. says:

My husband is the same way about salsa. He loves this recipe. I was pondering a possible pancake too, like a fritter almost?