Will it rain today?

These fickle, fuddled words confuse me
Like ‘Will it rain today?’

~ Dave Matthews, “The Space Between”

As much as I love trekking to the beach on bright sunny days, I love even more heading to the Gulf when the weather is not so pretty.

Watching and photographing storms rolling into shore is exhilarating. Last year when Tropical Storm Lee came through, I was there – loving every windblown second of it. When weather reports call for storms, the first place I want to go is toward water.

Taking in that wide-open vista, witnessing the thunderheads churning and darkening, is like no other experience. The majesty and power of it is humbling.

This weekend it rained, and I took off for the beach…

April showers
Fanning out
Watching from shore
Life is good
Beached flock
Bleached bones

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, Nikon CoolPix S205 and/or iPhone4)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream or my 365 Project Page.

Unknown Mami
I showed you mine, now show me yours

To see other city scenes from around the world, check out Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City. Don’t forget to show the love to Mami and the other City contributors.

1. unknownmami says:

I love the shot of the abandoned ball on the sand.

2. Robyn Engel says:

Very nice. The captions really bring me into the scene too.

3. Great storm clouds. We have had stormy weather for several days here. I wonder why I didn’t try to capture those great clouds with my camera. Well, at least I can enjoy your shots.

4. These pictures really project an intense mood.

5. That sky, no wonder you head straight for the beach on a stormy day – great shots. Love the one with the abandoned beach ball.

6. Love the atmosphere in these photos.

7. BLOGitse says:

Today it’s been a sunny day in Helsinki.
    I read your story of dating, that is too funny!!! Great story!!!

8. Keetha says:

There is such power in wind and waves.

9. Wayne says:

I love weather watching as well. What a great set of photos.

10. Molly says:

I love the cloudy stormy look…especially over a brooding sea.

11. Vidya Sury says:

:-) It is always magic to see clouds gathering, unable to decide whether it shall rain or not. Right now, where i live, it is muggy, super-warm and though there are no signs of rain, i am wishing it would.

Lovely photos!

12. evimarie says:

What an inspiring atmosphere

13. The year after my grandfather died, I returned to the Gulf coast for the first time in nearly twenty years. I drove out of the airport into the afternoon thunderstorm. The sky was purple, and everything was lowering. The kids were terrified in the back seat. But up front, I was more tranquil than I had been in years. It was like that storm, that particular storm, rolled in just so it could welcome me home.

14. pgoodness says:

Love these shots. I am drawn to storms as well; I would love to be by the water as storms came in.

15. Lovely! It makes me wish to live near a coast, any coast!

16. Diane says:

Spectacular shots. After I looked at these, I went to your Flickr page. Wow! You have a great eye. I mix writing with photography, too. Often one compliments the other. Do you find that too? Thanks for sharing.

1. Tara R. says:

Thank you so much! I use my photos as inspiration for my fiction all the time. I try to include a photo with every post I publish.

17. k~ says:

I love it, there are a couple that make me want to craft a story around them… uh huh, I mean really, where DID that little ball come from, when it is obvious that the beach is empty, and it’s getting ready to rain? ;-)

1. Tara R. says:

The funny thing about that ball was that it was about half deflated and had “Life is Good” printed on the other side. There really was no one else on that beach today, except me. Right after I got back in my car, it started to pour.

1. k~ says:

Oh fun, you ought to create a prompt from that pic one day, and see what kind of stories are developed! :-)

18. Patti says:

Very dramatic sky, like the heavens are scowling. I’ve seen that look on some people’s faces…

19. Dysfunctional Mom says:

There’s nothing like a storm over the ocean. They are so much more ominous and powerful-looking.
    Its been raining all day, here….

20. Great shots! Foreboding, but I’d still be out there too.