Final flight

Final flight

Climbing the rock face, shards of slate dislodging and tumbling to the earth, all I feel is numb. My fingertips search for crimps as I ascend. Their urns, wrapped inside my pack, thump against my back urging me upward.

They say I’m brave for returning to the scene, wanting to scatter their ashes from the outcrop. I’m not brave, I’m tired. I just want to sleep forever.

When I reach the top, I’ll open their jars, letting them loose on the wind. Shedding my gear, I’ll then open my arms and join them for one final flight from the mountain.

Robot Leeroy

100 Word Song, a writing challenge from Lance based on a weekly music prompt. Give 100 words, not 99, not 101. This week’s challenge is inspired by Bauhaus – “Of Lillies And Remains”.

1. TheKirCorner says:

oh. to want to be with them in death, how heartbreaking and beautiful in your hands with your words.

2. Cameron says:

oh… breath stolen. so rich and sad.

3. Marian says:

oooooh sigh.

4. debseeman says:

This is utterly tragic and my heart wrenched as a read it. Some very, very good writing here.

5. Tara, I so enjoy the depths of your writing. The last line took my breath away.

6. I had to read this while partner was vacuuming (sp? I hate that word). Still, I was gripped.

7. Kat says:

And now you will have me addicted to another weekly writing thing. Love this idea of Lance’s!! You did, as always, an amazing job :)

8. Wow. I imagine the deaths of children or parents. Mostly children. I’ve assigned them son and daughter-in-law for some reason.

Peter Muprhy would weep after reading this one. Great interpretation and one of my favorites from you.

The pain is palpable and gripping.

10. k~ says:

Returning to where they died so you can sleep. Nice. This one has character that would be drawn out easily.

11. t says:

Color me an idiot, but I did NOT see that coming – very nice!

12. BinduDesigns says:

Love it. Hope to see more of your writing. the writing challenges will bring the most creative ideas in you

13. Carrie says:

is that crater lake in Oregon?

Love your take. The image of the floating ashes on the wind and then throwing yourself off after them! Oooh, chilling

1. Tara R. says:

I believe it’s Lake Tahoe in Nevada. My husband took this photo when he was there for a work conference years ago.

1. Kat says: