Half a tank

Gas prices are killing me and severely thwarting my photo road trips. If I gas up in town it’s around $3.90/gal, a short drive across the bay into Tourist Town and it jumps over 20¢. Despite the higher petrol costs, we’ve been inundated with out-of-towners. Meaning I have to reconsider where I go for my hikes, avoiding high traffic spots and keeping to those lesser known trails and beaches.

I’m staying closer to home, trying to consolidate and run several errands while I’m out. I’m attempting to keep my trips to less than a half tank of gas.

Lost princess
Biting beauty
Backyard 'shrooms
Bayou canal

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, Nikon CoolPix S205 and/or iPhone4)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream or my 365 Project Page.

Unknown Mami
I showed you mine, now show me yours

To see other city scenes from around the world, check out Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City. Don’t forget to show the love to Mami and the other City contributors.

1. $3.90. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! I’m happy because I saw gas for $4.17 somewhere today. I’ve seen it over $4.59 in recent weeks, and it’s painful. But I so get it – I’m doing my share of curtailing, too. Fortunately you seem to be able to find awesome subjects no matter where you go!

2. unknownmami says:

I have no doubt that no matter where you are you will find opportunities for beautiful photographs.

3. Nita says:

Wonderful shots, spirals is my favorite. Gas prices do put a damper on wandering spirits.

4. Maggie says:

Tara – absolutely love the mushroom picture, I’m sure you had to get down and dirty for that one.

5. Nise says:

Ha — I am actually about to do a post about photographing your own backyard. Good stuff to be found right at home! Beautiful shots!!

6. BLOGitse says:

I guess gas price is a global problem – we have to find new energy before it’s too late and greenhouse effect is a big issue too…
    Biking is healthy and saves energy! I’ll start biking again when back at home – greetings from Berlin!

7. MamaTim says:

Tara, i’m in love with all your nature photos. The mushrooms I love best.
    Ahhh don’t let me start on gas prices (we call it petrol where I live)…. hugs..

8. k~ says:

The images are fun, I like the palmetto on macro. It’s the little tiny curly Q’s that most people won’t see just walking by, but a macro shot takes it in and makes it come to life!

I saw a sign for gas at 8.33 a gallon in London, it about made me sick. You know they raise it every year for the Memorial Day weekend, that’s not a funny thought to have with it so close around the corner.

What kind of flowers are the white ones, with the heavy golden centers?

9. Dysfunctional Mom says:

Got so distracted by gas prices I forgot to leave a ‘real’ comment!
    The shoe pic is adorable. As soon as my niece found out she was having a baby girl, all my daughters & I could think about was tiny baby SHOES!!
    Love the spirals, too.

10. Dysfunctional Mom says:

Gas prices are KILLING me, and my car has suddenly decided to suck gas at an alarming rate. I basicallly don’t go anywhere I dont HAVE to go. =(

11. explorer9704 says:

the spirals are really fun! what kind of plant is that?

1. Tara R. says:

It’s a palmetto. A very common plant in Florida.

12. startraci says:

They say that necessity is the mother of invention. It seems that staying close to home has brought you some great pictures.

Happy Sunday!

13. I keep my truck under a half tank, too. Gas is over $5.00 and Diesel is close behind. I have a diesel, but still, it hurts.

14. Keetha says:

Little feet, little shoes – – – they “get” me every time.

15. Gas prices are getting nuts. :( It’s inhibiting everything everywhere :(
    But, *yay* FL for hiking prices up for tourists. They’re not spending enough ;)

Anyways!! GORGEOUS pictures, as always!! ♥ the spirals :D

16. Molly says:

Oh how this makes me chuckle… if we had gas prices like yours I think there would be a national celebration. Diesel is currently the equivalent of about $9.20 per gallon in the UK. Now THAT is pricey ;)

1. Tara R. says:

We Americans are very spoiled. I’m old enough to remember when gas was only 35 cents a gallon.

1. k~ says:

I remember .39 cents myself Tara ;-)

17. Wayne says:

Very nice set of pictures. Gas prices are keeping me close to home in my tourist town as well.

18. Question – does pic monkey let you put them in all those fun perfectly angled creative places? I can’t get it to let me rotate text. The spirals are perfect for The Thin “Sprial” Notebook.

1. Tara R. says:

Yep, I can maneuver the text in any direction I want. When you add a text box with PicMonkey, there is a little ‘handle’ at the top of the box. Click and hold on that circle, then you can turn it any direction using a touch pad or mouse.

19. Vidya Sury says:

The lonely shoe is so charming! Lovely photos. Sigh. Wonder how you get the creative watermarks. Tell me?

(I am putting together those okra recipes and will mail them in a couple of days)

1. Tara R. says:

I use PicMonkey, a free photo editing program, to add the watermarks. I can include text anywhere on the image and adjust size and color. It’s very easy.