Love letters

Love letters

Before Internet, before email, they wrote love letters to each other.

She tied them with a red ribbon, secreting them away in the rafters of the attic so they wouldn’t scandalize their children.

Rule of thirds

A little Trifecta lagniappe, or a Trifextra, for the weekend. A love story challenge, written in only 33 words.

Backstory: my husband and I have been together since 1983, well before cell phones, email, Skype, Facebook or Twitter. During the early part of our college courtship, the Mister co-oped, sending him away for three months at a time. We would write each other love letters. I kept all of his to me, and he kept mine. I bound them together, placed them in an empty popcorn tin, and stored them in our attic. They would truly traumatize our kids if they were ever found and read. It’s shocking enough that we hug and kiss in front of them.

1. LOL! Love this! I’d like to flash forward to when their children do come across them. Maybe once they’ve passed on?

2. trifecta says:

Thanks for joining us on our first weekend challenge. I loved this response. It reminds me of the time I happened upon some pretty innocuous love letters exchanged between my parents. That glimpse into their lives made quite an impression. Please come back and join us for the weekday challenge.

3. I love that you hid the letters in a popcorn tin.

4. Joules says:

Beautiful. I bet your kids find those someday and love the idea of their parents so in love.

5. I like this very much.That secret stash of love letters is what I always hoped to find tucked away in my parent’s belongings. It reminds me that they were once someone else.

P.S. I like your blog.

6. Rachel says:

I really enjoy the thought of love letters. I have never gotten one. Dang growing up in the digital world :) I imagine your children or their children will find them one day and cherish them. You know after they get over their idea that their parent’s affections are weird!

7. Satu says:

This is perfect! I love it. My husband and I lived over 300km apart for the first 1 1/2 years but funnily enough we didn’t write a lot of letters. Perhaps because there were “better” ways of communicating (i.e. more interactive ways like the phone or chatting on ICQ). Sometimes I wish we had a collection of love letters like that. It’s all just chat logs that probably got erased. On the other hand…we won’t have to worry about our son reading them. :D

8. karen says:

I remember those days. Funny, though. My husband and I spent an incredible amount of time apart but neither of us are letter writers. We have little but our memories of the phone calls. Fortunately our love continues to grow …

This is very yummy and I truly hope that your children one day in the distant future find these letters and that it rocks them to their cores. In a truly great way.

9. Patti says:

Love the simplicity of this.

10. Amanda says:

I love this. We have a collection of love letters that would scar our children, too. haha. So cute.

11. Anna Smith says:

Kinky and beautiful, love it :)

12. Amelia says:

I really like this, brought a smile to my face.

13. Carrie says:

it was so much simpler then. I almost wish I could have lived back then…almost. :)

14. barbara says:

love this – I still have hs love letters from my hubby . . . I disposed of the ones from my teen crush. :)

scandalous. Love it.

15. Megan says:

This reminded me of my great-grandparents, who enjoyed nearly 60 years of marriage.

16. Gina says:

Wonderfully done! Love hiding the letters away from the children…married love that could cause a scandal, oh my!

17. Scandalizing the kids? Love it. I can see the stack of letters in a dusty box. Your few words gave me the perfect images. Lovely.
    Came from the linkup.

18. Maggie says:

Wow, perfection in just 33 words. You’ve got talent.

Old school romance….love it…

great picture. Our gimmicks should get together and have lunch. Well written.