A worthy life

Rest in peace

Nestled among pines
‘Neath a shroud of fragrant leaves
Rest in peace good friend

Haiku Friday is hosted by Lou at LouCeeL.

Surrounding a small, rustic chapel in the woods, a pet cemetery spreads out under the pines. Handmade markers, bearing the names of beloved dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, turtles, pay homage to these animal companions. Dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi, the chapel is a quiet oasis to contemplate these short, but worthy lives.

Several friends have lost family pets recently. We are still mourning the death of our cherished Maxx. My heartfelt sympathies go out to these families for their loss.

1. patois42 says:

Very touching. The photo is a spectacular accompaniment.

2. A sweet tribute. It sounds like your Maxx was well-loved and very lucky!

3. Maggie says:

Beautiful! I had to say goodbye to my beloved orange kitty while I was home this summer. Pets are such great people.

4. Awww, that is so sweet! For a moment, I thought it was a sword hilt in the ground. Ahem.

It is always so hard to say goodbye to a pet. My parents lost their dog just before Thanksgiving, and the wee ones have only recently stopped having her featured in almost every school project they do. It’s sad and hard. So sorry about Maxx :(

5. lacolem1 says:

A lovely monument to a lost friend.

6. Carrie says:

this is such a sweet poem. We had to put our dear kitty down a year ago New Year’s Day. It’s still odd that she isn’t running around our house anymore. Thankfully we have new kitties to occupy our time but still…she is missed

7. Lou Lohman says:

Lovely photo. Lovelier ‘Ku.

When I was a kid, and growing up Catholic, I took as my Confirmation name “Francis” – for Francis of Assisi. So I guess my “Internet name” shouldn’t be lceel – it should be lceefl. Nah. Nobody would know what the ‘F’ was for. Except you and me.

8. Melissa B. says:

RIP, Maxx. A lovely, poignat haiku and snap, m’dear!