Rock the vote!

Got up early Saturday morning to head out for my photo hike. I had an ulterior motive to propel me out of the door before 7 a.m. Florida’s early voting began this morning too. Polls opened at a new precinct in the city where I live, and I went to perform my civic duty and cast a ballot.

Timing was on my side, and I was the very first person to vote… #00001. I was disappointed that there wasn’t any glitter or confetti to commemorate the auspicious occasion. Cake or coffee would have been welcome too, but alas I had to settle for stopping at a local donut shack for an apple fritter.

You know I had to ask, but they wouldn’t let me snap a picture of my inaugural ballot being accepted into the counting machine.

Getting out that early also afforded me the opportunity to snag a sunrise shot, and some pix at the beach when the lighting was muted. Mornings and late afternoons can create some wonderful shadows. The ambient light cast a sepia-like tone to the scenery.

Break of day
Good morning
Rolling in the deep
Sepia kinda day
Sunshine on the water
Mottled skies
Tempest coming
Winging it

(Photos shot with a Nikon D60, using an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 20mm f/2.8 wide-angle, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, Nikon CoolPix S205 and/or iPhone4)

For more photos, please visit my Flickr photostream.

Unknown MamiTo see other city scenes from around the world, check out Unknown Mami’s Sundays in My City. Don’t forget to show the love to Mami and the other City contributors.

1. alisha says:

i so love your photography. it helps my homesick-y. the tempest? fantastic.

2. Jen As Herself says:

I love the moods of the ocean. Nice work!

3. Denise says:

Beautiful! So peaceful and hopeful at the same time.

And YAY #1!!

4. Beautiful Tara, and some of them look just like here. Funny how the ocean is similar states away :)

5. Your beach is absolutely stunning. How sensational! I love the images you were able to capture. That is so cool that you were number one! YAY : )

6. Unknown Mami says:

I think it is pretty exciting that you were the first one to vote! Woo hoo!

7. Every week, your pictures evoke the same nostagic feelings for the beach days of my youth. My parents, particularly my mother, loved to take us to the beach for swimming, fishing, being with family. I grew up loving the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

8. startraci says:

Oh my gosh! What glorious pics! My life’s ambition is to live at the beach. Absolutely gorgeous shots!

And good for you for voting and I think that it is cool that you were #1.

Happy Sunday!

9. Heather says:

These are AWESOME. The colors are just incredible, and have so many rich tones in them. You make me long for the beach, I long for the sounds, the smells, and the feeling I have when there.

10. Bekah says:

How I wish I had a beacj to visit in the early morning! It might make getting out of bed a little easier!

11. Keetha says:

Such beautiful beach shots.

We don’t have any ocean beaches here in Central Wisconsin!!!

Well – – – we DO have Lake Superior and Lake Michigan and you’d be surprised how like an ocean their shorelines are – – – but not at all tropical! If you are brave enough to dip your toe in them, even in mid July, it will send shivers up your spine!

12. BLOGitse says:

Beautiful shots again…
    We were voting too. We get a new president tonight!
    Our voting system is very simple – number of the candidate and that’s it. We have 9 of them this time…

13. Love your pictures! For a few moments I forgot about being in 15 degree Illinois with 6″ of snow :)

14. Molly says:

Really beautiful pictures…. it has been a long time since I have been to the beach.

15. Vidya Sury says:

Congrats! on being No.1 at the ballot box! :-) I love all the photos and especially the hues of “Good Morning” and “Winging it”. As always, I admire your header!

16. claire says:

Beautiful set of pictures,wish I was there :)

17. Maggie says:

Oh, these are SO gorgeous! I want to be right there right now!

18. Patti says:

Wonderful pictures, Tara. Dawn at the beach is perfect.

19. Tela says:

great set! i really love the coloring of “rolling in the deep”