Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes revenge and dares to forgive an injury

~ Edwin Hubbel Chapin

I forgave someone this past weekend for something that happened a very long time ago. All these years I thought I had made it clear that I longer harbored bad feelings, but this time I actually said the words.

I won’t go into detail what the specific incident was, that’s not the issue. I have gotten past the hurt and have rebuilt a loving relationship with the other person involved.

Because of something else I’m dealing with right now, this matter came up again. And in an almost off-hand way I said that I had forgiven that past transgression many years since.

The response that caused was not something I could have ever imagined. It was immediate and heartbreaking. The other person was so grateful for hearing me say those three simple words ~ I forgive you ~ that I felt guilty for withholding them, no matter how unintentionally.

I don’t think I have ever witnessed such an overwhelmingly, emotional reaction. It was clear to me how truly remorseful and truly tormented this person was because of what happened. It was cathartic for me to learn that this person felt real regret and shame.

If you don’t think giving forgiveness where it’s possible is important… believe me, it can make a startling difference in not just your own life, but also to the person who you feel wronged you.

Submitted as part of Shell’s “Pour Your Heart Out” writing prompt at Things I Can’t Say. Please stop by to read the other posts, and give a little comment love.

1. Christine says:

That’s amazing. What a great story.
    I find forgiveness so difficult. I am very hard on myself and others. If I mess up, I hold it against me. If someone else does, I hold it against them. For a long time. Definitely something to work on. Thanks for the reminder.

2. Heather says:

I needed this today. Forgiveness is ever elusive to me, but I think I will work on it sooner rather than later. xox

3. Sara says:

Great post! Definitely something everyone needs to be reminded of. It’s amazing what forgiveness can do for not only the other person but for yourself.

4. What a great post… and an important reminder at this time of year. I find myself in a similar situation. I have forgiven someone, but circumstances have not given me the opportunity to say the words. It’s on my Bucket List… sometime I know I need to do, when I get the chance.

5. It’s good to remember that forgiveness is important both for the person doing the forgiving, for their peace of mind, as well as for the person being forgiven. Now the event truly is past you both and there can be a new beginning.

6. Elastamom says:

This is a great reminder to all of us!

7. What a great post. Sometimes, it can be awkward even though time has passed between people, and you carry on a relationship without actually ever bringing up the incident. I think those words are definitely needed a lot of times.

Thanks for stopping by the blog today.

8. Jen says:

I’m so glad that I read this, what a wonderful experience for you and your friend and what a lesson for us!

9. Charity says:

I’m so glad the response from the other person was so heartfelt and that you were able to forgive them.

10. Annie says:

Great post. Hard to do. I’m so glad you found that peace in yourself and gave it to another person

11. Tricia says:

Love love love this post and the quote! So glad you were able to find some peace and also offer it to someone else :)

12. MEL says:

Good advice, though it remains tough to do at times!

13. I bet that felt so good- for both of you!

Gorgeous pic, btw.

14. Tracy Wilson says:

People sometimes fail to realize the power of words until they witness it.
    Nice to meet you- hopped over from another blog. Awesome photography!

15. Katina says:

I so agree! Forgivness is powerful! I have watched God move through it–in me and the other person. There is something about offering and receiving Grace. Grace is NOT deserved or earned. I guess that is what makes forgiveness so sweet!

Feels good doesn’t it? That person doesn’t have power over you anymore because of your anger, resentment and memory?

excellent post

17. Lou Lohman says:

Forgiveness, from you, would be like a kiss from a baby – a sweet and gentle feeling, not easily forgotten once experienced.

18. I agree, what a beautiful post. How powerful those little words can be.

19. angela says:

I forgive easily, which is both good and bad. Sometimes it leads to the same hurts by the same person, but I still wouldn’t trade the quality :)

20. Nise says: