Dangerous sweetness

Pitcher plants, carnivorous flora that despite its outward beauty, has a hidden homicidal nature. They tempt their prey with sweet nectar, only to drown them in that loveliness and consume them.

Like these man-eaters, there are people in our lives, pulling us in with their saccharine words, their sweet but deadly nature. Devouring us when we least expect it. Try as we might, fight as we might, we cannot disentangle ourselves from their embrace.

The only way to survive is to recognize them for what they are – dangerous, all-consuming, toxic. We can admire them from afar, but cannot allow them to entrapped us in their drama.

1. Melisa says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!
    Life is too short as it is to be around toxicity like that. :)

2. Joyce-Anne says:

Great analogy. I, too, know some of those carivarous creatures seeking and creating drama wherever they can. I avoid them as much as possible.

3. April says:

Sadly, yes.

4. Sarah says:

Wonderful analogy and so true…I’ve been caught in that snare before. Sometimes you ust don’t see what it is until it’s too late. Love this :)

5. Drama really is so easy to get sucked into and so hard to get out of once in, isn’t it? Great analogy, T!

6. Liz says:

Uh, wow, and yes, great analogy, Tara! Also, I’m still loving hunting for the copyright…yes…I am easily amused, thanks :)

7. Heather says:

I know those types of plants, err, people & I’m really proud to sy that I don’t have any in my life anymore. And it’s a beautiful feeling. Love the photo!

8. Joy says:

Nice analogy Tara….and very true. I think there are many human Venus Fly Traps out there too. ~Joy

9. Mama Zen says:

This is so true!

10. PattiKen says:

Oh, I think I know that “plant” all too well.

11. I’m not familiar with this plant, but this is a great photo.