No parking

Under normal circumstances, neither of these signs would be out-of-the-ordinary. They are guarding an empty lot, and presumably the land owner is simply attempting to keep unwanted visitors from tramping around on his property.

The thing that prompted me to take a picture of two innocuous signs is that the tree they are nailed to is a good 10 yards off the road. There is no way people could park there even if they tried.

Every time I see it, it makes me laugh, so I finally just took a picture.

Wanting to share my amusement with my menfolk, I showed them the photo. As men will do, they were oblivious to the humor in it, so I tried to make a joke about whether the property owner was not talking about cars parking, but couples parking.

I was apparently dating myself.

My husband did offer up a weak, but gratifying smile at my joke, but my son just had that glazed look teens get when they have no idea what parents are saying.

“Parking, you know…” *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

“You really don’t know what I’m talking about? Kids don’t go parking anymore?”

If he didn’t know what I meant, I certainly wasn’t going to explain it. I also don’t know if I want to hear what kids were doing now that they aren’t steaming up the back windows of Dad’s Mercury Cougar.

1. Oh, man. I don’t even want to think about what kids are doing these days! The mere thought freaks me out way too much already.

2. Heather says:

I parked in a ’91 Chrysler LeBaron. Try to do “parking things” in the backseat of THAT CAR. hahahha. I’m a rockstar ;)

3. Melisa says:

I don’t want to know either. So if you find out, DON’T tell me. :)

4. patois says:

An Oldsmobile Cutlass was where I was hanging out, steaming up windows.

5. lceel says:

For me it was a 61 Rambler. Yeah. I know.

6. Bad Momma says:

Funny how colloquialisms have changed. For example when you mention “Cougar”, a car is not the first thing to come to mind!

As far as I know my boys still have a few years till I have to worry about “parking” (driving is 2 years away for the oldest)!

7. Michelle says:

Kids don’t park anymore? Huh. I ummm did. And it wasn’t THAT long ago. Love the signs. I’m assuming there were signs closer, yes?

1. Tara R. says:

No, this is the only ‘no parking’ sign on the whole street. That’s what was so funny to me, that and these are so far off the road, well into the woods.

8. MamaWise says:

Reminds me of a picture I tried to take of a sign that said “Humps Ahead” as in warning of speedbumps in the road. Unfortunately, I took it with my old phone’s camera and it was too fuzzy to read.

9. Mama Zen says:

If they’re not parking, then . . .

You’re right; I don’t want to know!

A cougar was my second car…very fast